New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best "heavy" bullets for .223???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Savage 10fp in .223. I reload, and would like to take advantage of the tighter twist to launch some "heavy" projjies downrange (up to ~75 gr)

OK, here's the question:

1. For hunting game to goat/small pig size, what projjie above 60 grains do you recommend? I want good, solid penetration that opens up inside. I am concerned about varmint bullets that might "blow up" without getting in where needed.

I appreciate that 69-gr Sierra matchkings, although superbly accurate, may not be the best bet for hunting!

Any suggestions, please?

PS: This particular rifle seems to not particularly like anything below, say, 55-gr, in terms of accuracy.

Bruce
(No, not BBBruce, just Bruce)

Posts: 104 | Location: Perth, Australia | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The obvious answers would be the Barnes X and Nosler partition, but a cheaper alternative is the Winchester 64 gr. PowerPoint which is designed for the use you mention and reportedly is quite accurate as well. Some people use them as a practice bullet for High Power competition as a cheap alternative to the MatchKings.

Posts: 1524 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
It may not be the most accurate or have the flattest trajectory but for a good hunting bullet the 70 grn hot core ssp should hold together pretty good without digging into the wallet too deep. I cant see shelling out the jack for a premium in a 223, even for hunting purposes, its unnessesary.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WesternHunter

quote:
70 grn hot core ssp
Sorry, I don't know these. Can you give me some details, please, so I can chase them up??

Thanks

Bruce

Posts: 104 | Location: Perth, Australia | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BIWOZ He is talking about the Speer 70 gr. Semi-Spitzer Soft Point. The Speer loading manual shows a velocity of @ 2700fps. to 3068fps. depending on the powder.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Better have a 1 turn in 9" or faster twist to be able to stabalize the heavier bullets. Most factory rifles except AR15 type rifles are often too slow a twist to take advantage of heavy bullets. Good Luck with your project.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks heaps, people!

Cheers

Bruce

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIWOZ:
WesternHunter

quote:
70 grn hot core ssp
Sorry, I don't know these. Can you give me some details, please, so I can chase them up??

Thanks

Bruce

But they're not hot core.....

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote