Find
Notify
Tools

First-time progressive
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks,

I have been reloading several handgun and rifle calibres on an RCBS Rockchucker for some 30 years. However, I find it a royal pain to load my handgun ammunition in batches of 200-300 on the single stage press. My son and a friend also use my facility, and although they don't reload for their handguns at this stage, they are considering it. I guess they would be loading just about the same volumes as I am. Calibres range from my better half's .25ACP through 380ACP, 38/357 mag, to 40 S&W.

Clearly, we need a progressive press. I have never used such a press, and I'm not sure that I understand exactly how it works, but I have developed a fair idea.

At last, my questions: Given the volumes and range of calibres, is the expense and hassle of importing Dillon kit justified? What does Dillon really do that something like RCBS or Hornady won't do? I guess i'd like to hear from the users of kit other than Dillon. And, of course, Dillon users who have experience of the 'other kit'.

Let the games begin! clap

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
Make sure that whatever you buy that it "auto indexes"

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you intend on loading rifle and pistol on the same progressive machine, then the Dillon RL550B and XL650 should be considered because of the removable tool head. Four dies for the 550, 5 dies for the 650. You pull 2 pins, slide out dies and powder measure, slide in another tool head of a different caliber. Then, change out the shellplate, if a different size case head is used, and you're ready to start loading. Dillon's are reliable, durable and backed by a no BS warranty. And keep their value. Their customer service is second to none. I also like that the customer service reps actually assemble the presses. If you have a before purchase question or an operating problem, they know all about their machines and accessories firsthand.

You'll never regret buying a Dillon product. And the Dillon blue color is more soothing than Hornady red or RCBS green.

FYI, I own a SDB and a 550.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I use a Hornady Lock-N-Load Automatic Progressive press. Now that Hornady also makes a case feed system, there is not that much of difference between a Hornady or a Dillon in terms of practical use. The Hornady has the lock-n-load system for changing dies which is fast, but Dillon has the interchangeable head system which can be even faster. The Dillon is usually more expensive and it is a little more complex. Customer service testimonials from users in the USA are of not much value to someone abroad, whether it be for Dillon or Hornady, as you will most often be shuffled off onto the importer in your country. I am totally satisfied with my Hornady. Since both are good the least expensive option in your country will probably be preferable. If one maker is much better represented in your country than another, then that might make up for any price difference as having easily acquired spare parts is an advantage.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
WInk is correct in his view, all progressives work in a sim. fashion. Honestly, unless you are shooting 500rds a month I wouldn't even bother. A turret press would serve you well for a lot less money.
I have (2) Dillon 550B & the auto index case feeder of the 650 do allow you more rounds but is also more complicated. The 550B is very simple to use:
station 1, size & prime the case, push the index arm, load another case.
station 2, bell the case mouth & powder charge. Push the index arm, load another case.
station 3, put a bullet on top of the case & pull the handle seating the bullet into the case (stn. 1 & 2 are repeating). push the index arm & load stn. 1, bullet on case @ #3.
station 4, crimps the case, all other stations repeat.
As you can see, by performing all functions, each time you pull the handle you get a finished round. It' quite easy to get 350-400 rounds in one hour on a 550B, maybe 500-550 on the 650. So how much you shoot is how badly you need the higher output of the 650. I have 2 550B so I don't have to change primer assemblys out., just drop in a tool head w/ all your dies ready to go. Here are some links.
https://secure.dillonprecision.com/default.cfm?
https://www.hornady.com/shop/
http://www.redding-reloading.com/pages/t7turretpress.html
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/index.htm
The turret press works in a sim. fashion but you move the tool head instead of the case so obviously a bit slower but a viable option. I'm a big dillon fan but many like the Hornady as well.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rikkie,

I have a Dillon XL650 and love it.
Never used any other brand except the Lee turret press I started loading on.

" Auto index " is a wonderful thing, makes double charging a case pretty difficult. The press indexes itself to the next station automatically with each pull of the handle.

Dillon's warranty is really as good as they say it is. I'm not sure how they handle international stuff , so be sure check that out. Here in the US , you make a toll free call and parts arrive within a few days , no charge.

BTW , the Dillon XL650 beats the Lee 3 hole turret press by miles. ( DUH ! )

Travis F.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Another opinion for the Dillon. I have the XL650 with all the "bells and whistles" and really like it. You really do need to shoot 400-600 rounds a moonth to justify any press in that category. The Dillon interchangeable tool head is a big plus and, like everyone else says, their warranty is second to none. As far as your not being able to take advantage of their customer service via telephone (I would imagine it would be cost prohibitive to you), you can still e-mail them with any problems. They are a great machine. As well as loading pistol cartridges, many of my friends load the smaller rifle cartridges (.223, .204, .221, .308, etc) on their Dillons.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
I have two Dillon 550's set up to load: 30-06, 308 Win., 6mm Rem., & 45ACP on one (same shell plate and priming system), and 30 carbine, 223, 9mm Luger, 357 mag on the other (all small primers). Three powder measures make it simpler to change from one caliber to another, even when changing from rifle to pistol cartridges. The 550 would be great for your handgun loading.

Went from a single stage press directly to Dillon and have never had any regrets. The few problems I have encountered in loading literally thousands of rounds on these two presses have been handled promptly by the techs at Dillon. They really mean no BS guarantee!

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS 2000. I picked it over the Dillon machines because of the APS priming system, it simply works MUCH better than the traditional tube-fed systems. I can change from the large to the small primer punch in about 1 minute, put in a different strip of primers and it's ready to go. Charging the strips with the included tool is much easier than trying to load tubes, I load up several hundred primers in a couple of minutes. Changing the die plate is even easier, pull two pins and it slides out, slide in the new die plate and put the two pins back. Changing the shell plate is very simple too. Cut down an allen wrench so that you can spin it without hitting the powder measure spout and it goes very quickly; just unscrew one allen screw and pull the plate, put in the new plate and screw the allen screw back in.
The other big difference between the Dillon machines and the RCBS 2000 is the powder measure system. The RCBS isn't mounted on the die plate like the Dillon, so changing powders is more difficult than someone who has a Dillon measure on each of their die plates. Of course if you don't have a powder measure on every die plate, it's about the same amount of effort to change powders; you have to take the powder measure off to completely empty it, then put it back on. It's the standard RCBS Uniflow measure with micrometer, so just re-adjusting the setting to throw more or less powder is fairly simple and quick.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't pass this one up!!

I believe these guys with their Dillons are telling you correct.

Some yrs ago I studied and farted around for months trying to decide whether to get the 550/650 or the Lee Load Master.
In the end I got the Lee and other than twice at the beginning I never get that SOB to work right. Once it started eating those itty bitty $2 plastic parts it just kept right on eating them as fast as I fed them. A full five yrs of using it as a fancy, expensive single stroker I gave up and wrote them a letter asking what they'd offer to take it back. I got a real nice letter from their C/s man Dave Shono saying to box it up and ship it back they'd refund my full purchase price, or full current list price.

I made a list of molds, lead melter and a bunch of other things three pages long knowing I'd owe them and shipped it all back. In about ten days I got a box of goodies and no papers. Next day a letter came with a list of the items and a refund check for some over $300.
They are good honest company. It's too bad their best press isn't up to their claims.

I do wish I'd bought the Dillon as I haven't been able to afford it since and am still using three single's and an old 1950 model Lyman turret press, which I really like, but, damn it. Should have had a decent progressive years ago and many thousands of rounds. I've got a 3# coffee can within an inch of the top with nothing but dead primers I've shucked out on these singles. Last I weighed it was 34 pounds. At 3 gr each, that's one hell of a lot of primers and single strokes.

Wish you well, I'd recommend you contact www.dillon.com ?? and question them about how they'd take care of you guys once you ordered their press.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6002 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the helpful responses. I'd really like to go with the Dillon, but I'm concerned that we don't have a South African company representing them. We would be very much on our own, from the importing through to spare parts and sorting out our own operational hiccups. Naturally, the internet and e-mail makes the world a small place. Georgeld has the answer - I'll contact the folks at Dillon and ask how they would go about supporting us.

Otherwise, it'll be the RCBS or the Hornady, both of which are represented here (after a fashion)

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I spoke to Dillon techs in Scottsdale they said about 98% of the pro shooters load with their machines,I know Miculek does cause he told me he has a bank of Dillons.I started with an RCBS jr then went with to a Dillon RL450 and built it into the RL550B.Set to load:38spec,357 mag,41 mag, 45acp,45lc,454 casull & S&W 460;243,30-06 & 300wm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another advantage to the Hornady die changing system is you can quickly change individual dies if you want to. And the PM settings are much more friendly to change. Dillon just wants you to buy a PM for each tool head, and keep it set for just that load. Most of this comes in handy when you are doing several batches of the same cartridge, but maybe different bullets, powder, crimp, etc. If you just want to crank out mind-numbing quantities of the same exact load then the dillon system is just as good.

Andy

Pray, Vote, Shoot, Reload.

Posts: 315 | Location: Arlington TX | Registered: 21 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bigjake,

Profound words, those. The shopping lists gets longer. Razzer

One of Us
Picture of kaldevass
posted Hide Post
I have a Dillon 550 and am planning a new one to so I dont have to shift between small and large primers.

The Dillon poeple are helpful even though I am in Norway.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Posts: 38 | Location: Bergen Norway | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Rikkie

I have 2 Dillon's a 450 converted to 550 and a SDB plus a RCBS RC the best buy I ever made was the SDB that press comes set up from the factory ready to go, every pull of the handel one shell I can crank out 50 rounds of say 45ACP in 10-15 min, I use the 550 for nothing but 223 and 7.62x39 and the RCBS for all my other rifle needs.

If your just looking to cut down time and mass produce pistol loads buy the SDB 10,000 rounds of 41 mag 44 mag 45ACP 9MM 38-357 40MM 30CARB and not one problem other then I broke the spent primer catch with a chair called Dillon and they sent me a new one FREE.

GOOD LUCK

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm in the UK.

I tried to buy a Dillon once allbeit over 10 years ago, tried to do it over the phone to the US, the Dillon rep was a ****hole.

Eventually it was costing me as much for the press in phone calls to get sense out of him and still no order so I cut my losses and bought an Ammomaster which has and still is serving me well, once bitten twice shy so no way would I go near Dillon and I would challenge their customer care.

I've never had any need to test out the RCBS customer care support yet with my Ammomaster unfortunately they stopped making that press but its still cranking 500 rounds a month of .303" for me.

When I was in the market for another progressive 18 months ago for 6.5 Swedish I bought the Hornady L-N-L progressive and its been bang on, never missed a beat yet and does what I want.

I'm sure that all the Dillon users are very happy with the product however they are not the only show in town and there are equally good in not better products out there at less cost for the same speccy i.e the Hornady.

Customer care is an issue but I've had terrible customer care from Dillon and I've never needed to try RCBS or Hornady yet.

So save your self some money and think beyond Dillon.