New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm still fairly new to reloading and I've been loading only handgun loads. I've been loading both .44 magnum and .357 magnum. I have used Unique powder for all of my loads so far, which has been working out pretty nicely for my target loads. But even when I push it near the maximum level they still don't have near the recoil and blast that full power factory loads have. I have a few boxes of Winchester factory loads for both calibers and they have alot more punch than my Unique loads. I'm looking for advice on a powder that will give me similar power levels without going overboard. I don't want to break my wrists, but lets face it...its fun blasting off some full power rounds every now and then.
I buy my reloading supplies locally so my selection of powders is limited to three brands unless I order from somewhere else and pay the hazmat charges. I can buy Alliant, Hodgdon, and IMR powders locally. The three choices I was considering are Alliant 2400, Hodgdon H-110, and IMR 4227 but I'm open to any other suggestions. I want to load for both calibers. I just want something that will give me about the same power levels as full power factory ammo without going on the extreme end where they become unpleasant to shoot. I would prefer a powder from one of these three companies.

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
W296 and Lil'Gun tend to give the best high-end performance with Mag pistol cartridges. For the 357, I like W296 - that is, 14.7 grs.W296 with 180 gr. Nosler Partitions and 15.5 grs. of Lil'Gun with the same bullet. Don't know much about the 44 Mag, but I also load 454 Casull and 500 S&W, and Lil'Gun or W296 are the powders of choice for hunting loads. You can easily equal Cor Bon loads with these powders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it weren't for 2400, Keith's experiments would have been in vain. It's still a great powder for magnum pistol loads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use H-110 for max loads and HS-6 & 7 for milder shooting. Bullseye and Unique are just to fast for full power loads, though they work OK for just throwing lead around the range.

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Any one of the three you list will do what you want. I`ve used all of them in both cartridges but did more with 4227 in the 45 LC then the mag rounds. I prefer H110 with the 44 and 357 mags personaly, but my dad always went straight to the 2400 for his 357, pure personal choice.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i much prefer H110 to 2400 if for no other reason than 2400 burns really dirty and leaves much unburned powder

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I use W296 in my 44 for 210-300 grain bullets.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Ditto- butchloc

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
IIRC, W296==H110. Same factory, different can.

I have good luck with H110, but max loads are noticably sharper than factory loads in my 357.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm narrowing it down between 2400 and H-110, leaning more toward H-110. For those of you who have shot both of these powders, is there a real noticable difference in recoil at the minimum charge level? I was reading load data in my Lyman manual and the pressure levels are considerably higher with H-110 than for 2400. Also, it appears you use magnum primers with H-110, correct? One other question, some of my load info states not to reduce starting loads on H-110 by more than 5%. Why is this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the weekend I decided to try both, so I picked up a pound each of 2400 and H-110. This morning I loaded a few test rounds for each caliber using both powders. I used the starting charge on both and used magnum primers on the H-110 loads. I test fired them this afternoon along side a factory round. I noticed absolutely no difference in recoil or feel between the factory rounds and the handloads, and no difference between the 2400 and H-110. They all felt the same to me, just exactly what I was hoping for, a big boom with heavier recoil Big Grin The only thing I noticed when firing the .357 is the 2400 loads shot a flame out the barrel which I didn't see with any of the other rounds. I haven't shot enough to name a favorite between the two powders, they both performed equally well to me and met my expectations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All powders have a "pressure window" in which they perform best -this is especially true with slower burning powder like 2400, H-110, and WW-296. To reduce charge weights below a certain point can lead to a phenomenon called detonation, where the powder burns erratically. This is true in both handguns and rifles.

Be sure to use a hard roll crimp too as it will help ensure reliable ignition. It can also change pressure with a given charge, so get the crimp right before increasing charge weights. Doing so as an afterthought can cause trouble.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Lil' Gun is Good Stuff in the 357 Mag.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The problem with H110 is the type of powder not it’s burn rate. H110 and win 296 (same powder) are ball powders known to be more difficult to ignite. For what is speculated as a delayed ignition, it is known blow up guns if used significantly below case capacity and should always be used with magnum primers.
2400 being a flake powder like unique ignites easily and can be reduced without worry (as long as the bullet gets out of the barrel). Also like unique it burns dirtier if reduced significantly or used with mag primers.
Some manuals list 2400 used with magnum primers and some with standard. It will burn much cleaner and provide more velocity for the same pressure if used in conjunction with standard primers. I suspect you are using magnum primers. If you change the primer in your 2400 loads I bet that flame thrower will mellow out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about 357 loads as I don't own one. But in the 44 mag. 2400 is THE powder to use. I believe it was used in a factory load at one time, or so I was told. Also I don't much like ball powders as I haven't had very good results with any that I've tried.

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2400 was a powder unique during its time. It's what you used to get the max performance job done. Today it is just dirty in comparison to H110/WW296.

For moderate loads UNIQUE and AA#7 make a lot of sense. (UNIQUE is considerable cleaner than 2400.)

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Since you have Alliant available you might want to consider Blue Dot also, especially for the 357.

Posts: 14 | Location: WV | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've burned a fair bit of 2400 and H-110 in both the 357 mag and 44 mag, as well as some other chamberings. 2400 is a great powder for max charges with the lighter bullets, and it has the added flexibility that it can safely be downloaded, it also works great in rifles with milder cast loads.

If your looking for max performance with heavy for caliber bullets, ie 200 gr .357, and 300+ gr 44, then H-110 is the powder to use, but it has to be run at max levels. H-110's issue about needing max levels isn't so much that it is a ball powder, but that it has a heavy deterent coating, so needs a heavy bullet, heavy crimp, mag primer and a full load of powder to bet burning. When all those are met, it burns clean and produces great accuracy.

I haven't had a chance to try Lil-gun in anything other than the 480, but it fits right between 2400 and H-110.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
'Been shooting .357 and .44 Mag since high school.. long time ago.. With a number of different handguns, and I've found over the years that 2400 is hands down the best powder with cast or lead bullets and H-110 with jacketed bullets. For some reason I've not been able to get H-110 to do as well with cast bullets as 2400, but H-110 and 2400 are pretty equal with jacketed, velocity and accuracy.
Enjoy..

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckshot:
If it weren't for 2400, Keith's experiments would have been in vain. It's still a great powder for magnum pistol loads.

YES!! I have tried the ball powders like WW296, H110, etc., and found them less flexible than 2400. They are more sensitive to bullet pull (crimp), variations in velocities, etc. I have gone back to 2400, even for my .454 Raging Bull!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote