New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 23D 22 Hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have acquired a Savage 23D 22 hornet and I was wondering if anyone else shoots and reloads one. I am wondering if anyone knows whether the bore is .223 or .224 and what shoots good in this rifle. Would it be safe to shoot factory .224 rounds in it for the brass if in fact it is a .223 bore.

Thanks,

RJS

Posts: 210 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 03 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RJS:
I have acquired a Savage 23D 22 hornet and I was wondering if anyone else shoots and reloads one.

I shoot a 24V that I had rebored 6mm ( now 6x45mm ), legal antelope/sage grouse gun for Montana. I do not know the answer to the 22 Hornet question although will be interested to see what it is.

Tom

Posts: 14595 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At last check, both Sierra and Hornady supply .223 bullets. That would be the best route, but the bore "may" be worn and I know of several who shoot .224's in old bores. Try to start with 40gr bullets (most older barrels are 1 in 16" and won't even begin to stablize a 50gr) and VERY moderate loads and see how it goes from there.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
RJS:

I own and shoot a Savage Model 23D in 22 Hornet. Mine was made in 1941, and is the delux model.

I shoot 35 grain 224 Hornady V-Max Bullets in mine with great success. I tried the 223 bullets early on, when I first acquired the rifle in 1992, but I soon found the 224's did better for me. I have had the best accuracy with Lil Gun, and 1680, also IMR 4227. As another poster mentioned, they are twisted 1 in 16, so the lighter bullets are the best choice.

Good luck, and don't fret the bore diameter, the gun will let you know what it likes.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If memory serves me right, Savage was first to produce/sell the .22-Hornet. Up until WW-II all Hornets were .223 diameter. I have read that it is OK to shoot the .224 bullets in them.
I was shocked to see my uncle's MODEL 52 Winchester in .22-Hornet. He got his very early.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote