New
Find
Notify
Tools

BARREL FOULING?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I scrub the $h!t outa my .308 with a bronze brush and remington bore cleaner ,shot the rifle 25 times and came home scrubed it twice with the brush and remington bore cleaner and theres still fouling in the bore. Is this normal? Is the bronze brush good for the barrel? Ive shot my rifle 400 times, and usually run the brush (with remington bore cleaner) 4 times and then swab out the leftover with patches and shoot the rifle 25 times per session. Is this normal or does my barrel foul to much?thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
use some Wipe Out. It really works. Makes brushes almost obsolete!!!

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say that Remington bore cleaner isn't the best product out there...Wipeout works the best from what I've found.

Also, I would say, without any particular knowledge of your gun, that you might not be cleaning it "enough." I have a 375 that requires 12 hours of soaking with Wipeout after as few as 5 shots.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second the recommendation for WipeOut. No brushes, no scrubbing, no sweating, no swearing, and done in no time at all.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS:
Read all the posts on WipeOut in the Gunsmithing column.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to: http://www.riflebarrels.com/default.htm and watch the video comparison of a Remington factory barrel bore with a hand lapped Lilja barrel bore. Obviously they took video of the inside of a pretty crappy factory barrel and a pretty nice premium barrel, but you'll see why factory barrels are often pretty bad foulers. I had a bad fouling Remington .308 Win VSSF. I fire-lapped it and had my smith turn it back a few turns and recut the chamber. It now is very smooth, and doesn't hardly foul at all. If you like the way your rifle shoots you might just want to figure out the easiest way to get it clean (see above recommendations), and enjoy shooting it.
Take care,
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this Remclean you are using? If so, you're going about it the wrong way - read what it says on the back of the bottle!
Remclean has a very specific procedure, and it doesn't involve a brass brush. You are supposed to use patches in a lightly oiled bore. Could this be a case of RTFM?