Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Varmint Grenades
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted
Has anyone had success loading the Barnes Varmint Grenade, 50 grain bullets in a 22-250 with a twist rate of 1:12? I noticed they recommend a twist rate of 1:10 or faster. My barrel twist rate is 1:12. Am I wasting my time trying to load these in my gun?

For Coyotes, ground squirrels and rock chucks, is the Hornady V-Max better than the Varmint Grenade?

One of Us
Picture of 375RUM
posted Hide Post
They will work, I've used them in a 1_14 twist 22-250AI.
But nothing will beat the V-Max for varminting, I've tried most varmint bullets in a s***load of calibers over the years, but I always come back to the V-max, they are explosive and extremely accurate.

Posts: 44 | Location: Norway | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
I've never used 'em in a 22 cal rifle, have seen them used in a .243 as well as a .204. Not the best coyote medicine, they work well on gophers, crows, magpies. But I have yet to find anything comparable to either the V-Max or Blitz King projectiles for varmint busting capabilities!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone had success loading the Barnes Varmint Grenade, 50 grain bullets in a 22-250 with a twist rate of 1:12?

I can't speak for "anyone" but we've tried 'em - in .22 Hornet, .222, .223 & 22-250.

Nothing to write home about, other bullets are IOO much easier to develop a load for, Speer, Sierra & Hornady; like above, for example.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I’ve tried them and I’m still working with them but so far it hasn’t been good. Can’t get them to group. My rifle is 1 in 14 so I’m not holding out much hope for them.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DPollard
posted Hide Post
Well, the consensus seems to be that I stick with the V-Max bullets. Thank you all for your input. I've got a great load worked up for my V-Max's so no sense fixing it if it's not broke!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Generally doesn't work (Fortunately I have a gun nwith faster twist or 200 rounds of 223 would have gone to waste) Trying the 36g ones now

Posts: 572 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote