New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x54R bullet size??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have decided that I want to buy a Mosin Nagant 91/30 for shits-and-giggles. After reading, discussion, and searching I have found that there is no consistant bullet diameter. I know I'll have to slug the barrel to find out the true dimensions. Some people say use .308, while others say .310, and others still say use .311.

I do plan on using factory ammo for a while before I get reloading gear for it.

Basically, what diameter should they be?

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7,62*54r is bore 0,308 grove 0,314 and is used with 0,310 bullets mosty in military rifles but the boresize can variate as with all 100 years old rifles it can be between ,308-,312

nordic

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MThunter, The surplus ammo, is almost always .311. With that being said, I'm loading .308 bullets, and getting 1.5" MOA @ 100 yds.

As much as I hate to say it, you'll just have to experiment. If you already have .308 bullets, then I'd give them a try. Depending on which dies you use, your brass will be sized to .308 (Lee) RCBS comes with both expander balls. You have to buy the larger expander ball seperately from Lee. (it's like $3)

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mine will shoot .308 bullets but only to about 2 1/2 - 3" at 100yrds. I use the Sierra .311 174grn hollow points and that shrinks to an inch and sometimes a tad under.( 46 grains of Vhit N140 in Lapua cases ). My Moisin is a Tikka Barreled Sniper version and slugs at .309.

Posts: 15 | Location: Yorkshire. England | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you'll honestly need to slug the barrel first. Then, once you know what it is, you can start with the experimenting. Mine turned out to be .313 so I bought the Hornady .312 diameter 150 grain bullets made for the .303 British. I'm working on a load for them right now but found that the iron sights are darn near impossible to try for any real accuracy at 100 yards. Sure, as a battle rifle it would definately knock a man sized figure over at 100 yards, but I'd feel better if I could see the target circle clearly. I am going to have to get new glasses that focus sharply when looking through the top right of my right lens. You might want to do some searching on the internet. I've read there is a fabulous trigger on the market that one can install by himself, but the problem is it costs as much as the rifle. One other thing, Surplus ammo is freakin' dirty! It's one of the main reasons why I decided to reload for this rifle. Seriously, someone needs to sit down with dem there Russians and have a heart to heart about the volume of junk left in the barrel and how difficult it is to get it all out after only 15 rounds. The other reason I reloaded for this was to get hunting grade bullets in lighter weights thereby decreasing the shoulder pain inflicted on me and the corresponding flinch (coupled with the 6-7 pound trigger pull). Welcome to the Russian designed rifle "club." They're just as fun as any other gun.

Later,

Ross

Posts: 25 | Location: MN | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One last thing, Finnish rifles are most typically 308 and the Russian ones are 310 or larger. You'll usually pay more for the Finn tweaked rifles for good reason. If I buy another, it will more than likely be a Finnish model. Maybe a sniper.

Later,

Ross

Posts: 25 | Location: MN | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I use the Sierra .311 180 gr bullet in my Nagant with RL 15.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my load I'm currently using 190gr Hornady interlocks in front of 44gr of IMR 4895. In my nagant, this yields 1.5moa @ 100. I'm currently in the process of loading with IMR 4350. (I found that my group size got smaller with increased muzzle velocity).

mike

Posts: 180 | Location: Bremerton, Wa | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
I use .311" Sierra Matchkings in my MN's to great success.

Use any bullet that you would use for the 7.65x53 Mauser or .303 Brit as they're all the same.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
http://www.realguns.com/loads/762x54r.htm

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some good info there. Problem really is that loading data is only provided for .310 and .311 diameter bullets. Also, the test platform is an M38. No big deal, but mine is a 91/30. Little differences, but good info none the less.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for the help guys. I appreciate all of the knowledge there is for these things. Unfortunately, the Mosin Nagants (in my willing price range) that I looked at this weekend were junk. One had significant rust pitting on the barrel and the other 2 were pitted in the bore. I just couldn't bring myself to spend money on a pitted guns and the good conditioned ones were twice the price of the bad ones.

Long story short, I wasn't able to put your information to work, yet. I did however find an SKS fresh from the grease packaging for $110 and it is a good looking gun with a bright bore.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SKS's are a good rifle. Which type? Yugo? Chinese? etc. They hold their value relatively well, repair parts are redily accessible, they're easily upgradeable, and the surplus ammo is of better quality. Most do pretty well shooting Wolf or Silver Bear. (both from Russia)

Also, it's a lot easier to find an SKS in great to mint condition than it is a Mosin Nagant.

mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a Yugo, but I had one of those "sorry we're busy" replies for my background check so I have to wait to pick it up this weekend before I can take it appart to give it a good cleaning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the NICS line doesn't allways work.

Yugo's are good rifles. (at least the ones I've shot) Does it have the night sights. (I like them)

mike