Notify
Tools

Ejection Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
Rifle - Savage Model 14 American Classic factory
Ammo - Winchester Brass - Hand loads with Hornady SST 165 Grain bullets loaded well off the lands to accommodate feeding through the box magazine

Problem - Rifle ejects empty casing after firing with no problems. However, if you try and eject a loaded round, the bolt will not remove it...the bolt opens and will re-close but the round never leaves the chamber

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Have a close look at your extractor. It may be worn or broken.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaulS:
Have a close look at your extractor. It may be worn or broken.

or

Dirty most likely the recoil is jarring it enough to move it into place.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I'll check that out.

I just got a new piece of info...It will eject a factory loaded round...hmmm...perhaps I am trying to run the die to far down and bumping the shoulder too much??

Reloaders Haul Brass!

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
To much crimp may bulge the shoulder. Make sure the seating die is set to not crimp.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bth,

First, I'd check the bolt head and see if there is debris under/in/around the extractor as on a Savage you should be able to move it freely with fingertip pressure.

but utimately my take-away would be you've either got:

a batch of brass with too thick rims or too large diameter rims,

or perhaps a F/L (?) sizing die adjsutment issue.

or perhaps like 243win states a crimping issue,

or your C.O.A.L is too long and you're shoving the bullet into the lands.

Reasoning is to me, that; the sized rounds will not click the rim of the cartridge under the extractor when you attempt to chamber a round but the pressure from the firing does this for you.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could it be that COAL is too long, hanging the bullet tip up on the front of the ejection port when cycling? Not familiar with the rifle, so this is pure speculation

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I read the above posts above and became alarmed in your behalf. Then I saw it was a ejection problem.

I thought that you said you had erection problems!!!!!! dancing

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I read the above posts above and became alarmed in your behalf. Then I saw it was a ejection problem.

rotflmo

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerJust a little too much head space. The thought of you over sizing is probably correct. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I am using an RCBS FL die. I try to just bump the shoulder and not resize the whole case, I do load longer than the factory rounds but I cannot get into the lands because it has a short box feed magazine.

The extraxtor looks fine and I am crazy for cleaning...there is no debris.

I thought perhaps I am not sizing enough??

I know it is a newbie question, but how would you recommend I set up the dies if I do not want to completely resize the brass? I am not crimping at all.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
You have to stop sizing the case before you get to the shoulder if you don't want to size the case when using a FL sizing die. I stop about 1/16" to 1/8" before the shoulder - you should see a thickening where you stop sizing the neck. If you get to the bottom of the neck you have sized the entire case.

The unsized portion of the neck will help center the front of the case in the chamber and the unsized body of the case will help to center the bulk of the case in the chamber. Depending on your rifles chamber you may or may not get better accuracy but you will get better case life as long as you are not loading to abusive pressures.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul. Would it be wise to darken a case with marker and run it through the die to see exactly?

Perhaps I should FL size to eliminate the ejection problem??

Reloaders Haul Brass!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It could be a lot worse. If it were coming out before the bolt was completely back,you could be dealing with a case of premature ejection...

Whistling

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote