Find
Notify
Tools

Recoil pad choice for the sensitive
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
The wife recently got herself a Ruger .338 for an upcoming elk hunt (and eventual brown bear hunt) from a member here. It's equipped with a muzzlebrake, which should help tame the recoil substantially. Because she's small of stature, the stock needs to be shortened though. Since we're going through that, I'd like to add a better recoil pad at the same time. I'm considering Sims, Pachmayr, and KickEez. Any comments on the pros and cons of these? Any input on which is superior for recoil reduction? I have a Decelerator on my .338, and the wife's other rifle has a KickEez. I like the Pachmayr, and the KickEez seems to work well (though it's very soft and deformed after a couple weeks in the safe), but I wanted additional input from you guys that do more of this.

Thanks,
Troy

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never been dissatisfied with Decelerators. I'd be willing to bet that the difference in felt recoil between a Decel and a K Ezz would be next to nothing. I don't like the way the K Ezz deforms either.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
+1 for the deceleraator.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the decellerator pad for years on my 7mag,but I have to admit,I think the Remington R3 pad made by Limbsaver is a little better in less felt recoil.

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Troy

Limbsaver make pad that straps on over you shoulder. I have 2 of them, one for me and one for my 10 year old son, who was shy about shooting anything more than rimfire. We put that pad on his shoulder and he went straight out and shot a match with a 7.62x39. He loved every shot he took that day and now he wants to try a 308.These pads are much more effective than any of the pads you put on the butt stock. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys, especially considering I got this in the wrong forum (I meant it for Gunsmithing).

craigster and Von Gruff, I've been pleased with my Decelerator as well but wanted to see what else is out there now.

Baldhunter, thanks for the info on the R3 pad, I appreciate the comparison to the decel.

Fasteel, we too have one of those shoulder pads, made by Past I believe. We lovingly call it the PussPad and use it pretty regularly off the bench. I've never bothered with it in the field, though if the .338 is still too much after a muzzlebrake and good pad we'll have to reconsider that.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Sims is probably the best for recoil reduction, but I have had several turn into a gooey mess over time. Sims replaced them and blamed it on a bad batch, but they were bought from diff sources at diff times.

I'd go with the KE before the Pac Dec for perceived recoil reduction.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have decelerators on most of my big bores but for bench shooting, sighting and warming up I might recommend a caldwell sled. It really takes the sting out and helps eliminate the flinch. The few shots taken standing off sticks or leaning are more easily withstood.
During hunting of course very little recoil is perceived.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm different, but I have the thickest Kick-Eez on my 45-120 that produces about 458 Lott ballistics. Completely takes the pain away. Totally satisfied.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the decelerator
++1 on the lead sled for bench work
rc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tyler Kemp:
I guess I'm different, but I have the thickest Kick-Eez on my 45-120 that produces about 458 Lott ballistics. Completely takes the pain away. Totally satisfied.

If a kick-eze won't do it. It cannot be done via a pad! thumb

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The one not mentioned is the Pachmayr F-990 shotgun pad. They've fallen from favor because of the "California" 70s look but they are the best of the lot for comfort. In my experience, women are far more lenient about what looks acceptable. Maybe always having to switch fashions from season to season has something to do with it bewildered

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Limbsaver

NRA Life member

Posts: 142 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 18 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Simms

cointoss

Posts: 19 | Location: MI | Registered: 10 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The purpose of the recoil pad is to spread the recoil energy over time and area so that the pressure on the skin never reaches the threshold of pain.

My 338 has a large untrimmed Limbsaver.
I use an Eagle cheek rest, ammo carrier, and zippered pouch as a cover for the reveal between the large pad and smaller stock butt.

http://store.btitactical.com/eainshstpa3.html

Untrimmed = more area

338WM 250 gr partitions... kicks like a 243.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All my rifles have Kickeeze pads on em. That said, the single most important point is not the pad on the gun, but, how it sits into your shoulder. Most rifle butts are maybe 1-11/2 inches x 4-5 inches".

Think having someone put a 1x4 into your shoulder joint, and, then depending on how heavy a gun, hitting it with a sledge hammer.

The pads that you put on your shoulder spread the area out, and, keep the gun from getting 'in' to the socket, and, being painful and damaging.

Here is the pad I'm talking about:
http://www.battenfeldtechnolog...oil-Shield-for-Women

http://www.battenfeldtechnolog...-shield-ambidextrous

I'll never shoot a heavy recoiling rifle without one, again, if I can help it.

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I don't like recoil much myself. Just wondering why the muzzle break would not be sufficient with just a regular recoil pad? One fellow shot a muzzled breaked 338 Lapua and apparently, it was the muzzle blast that momentarily concussed him. He nearly dropped the rifle! (He fired it without hearing protection!)

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote