THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Light loads for light bullets in the .404 Jeffery

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light loads for light bullets in the .404 Jeffery
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Following the lead of others in this and other web sources, I purchased bullet sizing dies to allow me to make .423" diameter bullets out of .429" jacketed pistol bulleets. Now that I have a supply of jacketed 300 grain .423" bullets, I need some advice as to the nature and weight of the powder charge to use in my .404 Jeffery rifle.

My DEVA handbook lists loads for 350 grain bullets, but nothing for anything lighter. 42 grains of N110 with the 350 grain Woodleigh leaps off the page as a possible starting point. (Vihtavouri N110 is virtually equivalent to IMR 4227.)

However, if someone else has already experimented with light bullets, I would greatly appreciate being privileged to share in his accumulated information.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
email Accurate powder and tell them what bullet you are using and ask for some reduced loading information with 5744. Do not use any filler with 5744.
I have the same draw die and I am resizing Sierra Pro Hunter .429 bullets.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great suggestion! This is what I got for a reply:

Caliber: .404 Jeffery.

Barrel length: 24”

Powder: Accurate – 5744®.

Bullet weight: 300 grains.

Low load: 40.0 grains (1700 – 1800 ft/p/sec)

Midrange load: 49.0 grains (1975 – 2025 Ft/p/sec)

I'm resizing Nosler bullets. Everything else was on backorder when I went to buy some 300 grain jacketed bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just checked some prices on Accurate 5744 and found that Midsouth lists 8 pounds as $196.82, while the maximum price on the rest of the Accurate powders is $169.82. Does anyone know the reason for this?

(Midsouth is located close to me and I can pick up components in person and avoid Hazmat fees.)

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
How light do you want to go? I shoot them o/ RL15 or Varget for about 2200fps. Prtty accurate, 1 1/2" @ 100yds. Plenty good for practice, cheap & light recoiling. I've used the Nosler & XTP for these.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's your Varget load?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send a pm to Von Gruff. He'll have ALL the info you could ask for on the 404 J.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote