New
Find
Notify
Tools

How far will powder go
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As a newbie i was curious, How far will a 1# container of bullseye powder go for 357 loads not loaded to max? I am just asking for approximate numbers. I am not even sure how big a 1# container is as I never handled gunpowder to know its given weight in any container. Cory

<RickMD>
posted
One pound of powder equals 7000 grains. Determine your charge weight in grains and divide 7000 by the charge weight to get number of loads from a pound.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cory;
1 pound of powder weighs 7000 grains.
So just divide the number of grains you're loading in your particular load into 7000 and you'll have how many cartridges you can get out of a pound of powder.

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As stated above, divide 7000 by the charge weight.
158gr lead 357mag 6.0gr Bullseye (6.5gr=max) 1077 rounds.
158gr lead 38spl 4.0gr Bullseye (4.4gr=+P) 1750 rounds.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool glad i didn't purchase more to start. Cory

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great trick I picked up on one of these forums --

Put a regular address label on the side of each can. Starting with 7000, after each session working with a container of powder, calculate how many grains you used and subtract. The running total will prevent heartburn when you need 20 rounds for a match or a hunt and run out at 11 although the can seemed heavy enough.

Just wish I'd learned earlier and done it for all those quarter-full cans on the shelf.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon has a page on thier website that has conversions for reloading. It also converts grains to grams. It was pretty helpful.

Posts: 150 | Location: upper michigan | Registered: 27 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How far will powder go? I had a can of 3F black powder in my truck a few years ago, that went nearly 4000 miles! Now, that is powder going along ways.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote