New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 9.3x62 Experiment continues
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ku-Dude and fellow 9.3 afficianado, Here is a reply from John Barsness on one of our 9,3x62 conversations. You might find it interesting:

[Quote]

Charlie Sisk and I tested my load data recently, and it also came out around 50,000 psi--but since European pressures are taken in a somewhat different way, these probably are little hotter:

232 Norma Oryx: 64-66 grains Reloder 15 for about 2700 from a 23.6 inch barrel.

250-grain bullet (Nosler Ballistic Tip, Barnes X): 62-62 grains of Reloder 15 for about 2600-2650 in a 23.6 inch barrel.

286-grain bullet (Nosler Partition, Barnes X): 64-66 grains of Ramshot Big Game for about 2500 in a 23.6 inch barrel.

All of the above used Norma brass and CCI 200 primers, and all grouped well under an inch from my CZ 550. In fact, they all basically strike in the same place at 100 yards. The 232 load lands about an inch higher, but all the rest just plunk into the same spot.

The variations in the powder charges are due to different powder lots and bullets. When down at Charlie's lab, we found that his lot of Reloder 15 required two more grains of powder to achieve the same velocities as my lot of R15 with 250-grain bullets.

There isn't much difference in the way the 250 X and 250 BT loads, in fact with the same charge the BT is usually slightly faster, indicating slightly higher pressures.

With the 286's, however, the X bullet definitely creates more pressure. I had to cut my 286 Partition load of Big Game two grains to get the X down to 2500 fps.

I have friends who've heated the old round up even a little more, but I don't see much point in it. These loads kill big stuff VERY well, and the 9.6x62 was never meant to be a pronghorn round anyway. In fact many experienced hunters would argue that 2500 fps is the perfect velocity for top performance with long, heavy bullets. So while there is probably still some wiggle room here, I prefer to leave things as is.

[Unquote]

Please keep going with the 9,3 experiments I'm enjoying them with you.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Friends,

The experiment continues! Yesterday, I went to the range and continued my testing of the 9.3x62. The first order of business was to fire another five shot string on the test of the 270 Speer with 63 grains of Varget. This was done, and produced similar velocities and no indications of case failure. In sum, I fired 9 total strings, 1 with a hefty charge of H4895, 3 with 62 grains of Varget, 3 with 62.5 grains of Varget, and 1 with 63 grains of Varget.

I sectioned one of the 270Speer/Varget cases, and there were no, repeat no,signs of a pressure ring developing. The case looked absolutely pristine. I resized the remaining brass, and reprimed it. There were no external indications of pressure and the primer pockets were tight. Although it looked pretty worn on the outside with a patina like old sterling, it was good to go. I conclude that 62.5 grains of Varget is a safe load producing 2500 fps velocities in my 9.3x62 built on a Mark X action. I do not know what the internal chamber pressure is, but based purely upon case life and the condition of the case that was sectioned, I put it at less than 55,000psi; 52-53,000psi if I had to guess.

I then sectioned one of the 270 cases in which I had fired eight loads of 59gr H4895 with 210M primer. There was the slightest expansion of the bottom of the case just above the web. It could barely be detected. I would conclude that this load generates slightly more pressure than the Varget load. I'd place this load right at 55,000psi.

With this done, I started the testing of 250BT with Varget. I started the test at 63grains, the ending point on the 270. I fired three strings of five using new Lapau cases and 210M FC primers. The average velocity was 2575fps. Although I was not shooting for accuracy, 12 of the bullets were in a hole roughly an inch wide, and other three were scattered around about a half inch away. There were no indications of pressure, so I increased the load to 64 grains, and fired two strings of five.

The first of the 64gr Varget strings with 250BT produced an average velocity of 2631; however, the extreme spread (ES) was higher than recorded for the preceding tests. Accuracy was poor with a two-inch group. Cases were measured after sizing, and were over-long. They were trimmed and reloaded for the next 64grain string. The ES on this string was the lowest of the day (next low was the second string); however, the velocity average dropped to 2606fps. This group was a circular group of one inch. After this test, I decided to increase the charge by a half gain to 64.5 grains of Varget.

The accuracy of the 64.5grain string was on a par with the previous 64grain string, one inch; however, because of an increasing rain, I was unable to get any chronograph data. The recoil and muzzle blast was more noticeable that the previous load. While resizing after this string, I stuck a case in the die. Fortunately, it was the fifth case; however, the rain never let up and I elected to wait to fire these rounds because I wanted chronograph data to determine whether I wanted to move to 65grains.

Upon un-sticking the case, I had to remove the decapping assembly from the case. I elected to do this by sectioning the case to see what, if any, effect was showing on the case from pressure. There was no indication of a pressure ring on the sectioned case after six firings. I will continue this testing, and report the velocity findings for 64.5 grains of Varget and the 250BT.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I did this drill last summer with a old Husqvarna in 9.3x62

Using Lapua brass and a Nosler 286 Partition, 56.5 grains of H4895 got 2400 fps but accuracy suffered. 58.5 grains of Re15 got me 2350 (five shot average). Eventually settled on 55 grains of H4895 at 2300 fps and got good accuracy. The other accurate load was 58 grains of Re15 at 2300

I think we have to take all these fps comparisions with a grain of salt. Speeds are going to vary from one chrony to the next, heat and humidity, barrel to barrel, chamber to chamber etc. I think there could easily be a 50-60fps variance for such things.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now we have proof that Ray Atkinson is in reality Barsness. 2,500fps with 286gr - ye Gods in fact even Ray uses an extra 2" of barrel.

This whole thread seems to me to be extrapolation, inference and pseudo science. Interesting but not trememdously useful.

If a strain guage were to be used on the actual loads I would be a step nearer believing this exercise in upgrading a venerable pleasant and safe shooting sub 200m big/dangerous game cartridge to a sub 215m cartridge of questionable safety and longevity.

I love reading about the 9.3x62 but along with those who 'updrade' the 7x57 to 280rem plus I can't help wondering why not just get a 375H&H...

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Locating my hat for consumption....

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Now we have proof that Ray Atkinson is in reality Barsness. 2,500fps with 286gr - ye Gods in fact even Ray uses an extra 2" of barrel.

This whole thread seems to me to be extrapolation, inference and pseudo science. Interesting but not trememdously useful.

If a strain guage were to be used on the actual loads I would be a step nearer believing this exercise in upgrading a venerable pleasant and safe shooting sub 200m big/dangerous game cartridge to a sub 215m cartridge of questionable safety and longevity.

I love reading about the 9.3x62 but along with those who 'updrade' the 7x57 to 280rem plus I can't help wondering why not just get a 375H&H...

Quick point, just FYI:

The loads that Barsness talks about/lists (in djpaintles' post above) were tested on a strain gauge at Charlie Sisk's shop. (http://www.siskguns.com/) This information was also published in a fairly recent issue of Handloader magazine. (I'm at work so I don't have the magazine handy. I'll check when I get home and post the date of the issue.)

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Locating my hat for consumption....

No need to consume your hat! I just recently started shooting and handloading for the 9.3x62 so I try to find and read as much load data on it as I can. A/R is a good source. However, I don't believe in trying to make a magnum out of the 9.3x62. I have a .338 Win Mag and a .375 H&H if I need that kind of velocity/performance with a 250-300gr bullet. But, it's informative to gather together various load data for the 9.3x62 to see what kind of potential it has and what might be some good loads for it.

Cheers....
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote