Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Factory Crimp die?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,
Does anyone know whether the Lee factory Crimp die is cartridge specific?
I need to crimp a 375cal projectile in a 308Win length case ... just wondering whether I can use a shortened Lee 375H&H Factory Crimp die???
Thoughts?
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is.
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
Guys,
Does anyone know whether the Lee factory Crimp die is cartridge specific?
I need to crimp a 375cal projectile in a 308Win length case ... just wondering whether I can use a shortened Lee 375H&H Factory Crimp die???
Thoughts?
Cheers...
Con

You will be better off using the .308 Win lee factory crimp die and opening the .308 collet to .375 cheers

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
You will be better off using the .308 Win lee factory crimp die and opening the .308 collet to .375 cheers

Cheers mate! Reminds me of when I possed a question to some school kids regarding whether the glass was half empty or half full. One replied the glass was twice the size it needed to be.
I never thought of modifying a 308 crimp die. I'll pick one up, as if its not do-able, I can use it for my 308Win anyway!
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Con:
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:

Cheers mate! Reminds me of when I possed a question to some school kids regarding whether the glass was half empty or half full. One replied the glass was twice the size it needed to be.
I never thought of modifying a 308 crimp die. I'll pick one up, as if its not do-able, I can use it for my 308Win anyway!
Cheers...
Con

If you are going to drill it out to .375 you need to aneal it first, take the collet insert out of the die body and heat the small end to cherry red & stick it into some dry sand until cool. After your custom machining, heat it up cherry red and quench it in ATF to re harden it. cheers

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While we are on this subject, thought I would ask if anyone has tried to apply a crimp with this die that was placed beyond the bullet ogive. Due to magazine length restrictions, I am forced to seat the bullet past the ogive. I've heard good things about the lee factory crimp die, but was not sure if it would work in this situation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molar1:
While we are on this subject, thought I would ask if anyone has tried to apply a crimp with this die that was placed beyond the bullet ogive. Due to magazine length restrictions, I am forced to seat the bullet past the ogive. I've heard good things about the lee factory crimp die, but was not sure if it would work in this situation.

It would depend on how far past the ogive you were. The Lee FCD will constrict the case a limited amount - it's only got so much to give.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee will custom make the dies for like $20-$30, you just make up a dummy cartridge with a bullet, now powder or primer and send it to them. That would be a lot easier than modifying one to work on your cartridge. I'd be surprised if it worked if the bullet is seated past the ogive, as it doesn't constrict the case that much.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I 2nd the fact that Lee will make you a custom FCD for your cartridge. Just look on the Lee website. They have made me several custom seating plugs. They are generally very fast!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36553 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
The FCD will crimp right into an uncannelured bullet, making its own cannelure. It crimps the case just as far into an uncannelured bullet as it squeezes the case into a cannelure.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote