Find
Notify
Tools

300 RUM and the 200 grain TSX
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sniper
posted
I've been working up some loads using Retumbo, Fed 215's and the Barnes 200 grain TSX flat base. I am getting good accuracy and have worked up to 88 grains and an average velocity around 3075 fps at the muzzle. I was curious what others had come up with?

Oh yeah my COL is 3.645" which of course is too long to fit into the magazine box.

"In the worship of security we fling ourselves beneath the wheels of routine, and before we know it our lives are gone"--Sterling Hayden--

David Tenney
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
www.tgsafari.co.za

Posts: 871 | Location: Tennessee, USA | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
A 200 grain bullet over 3000 fps is slow? Friend, whatever you hit is going to move very quickly, straight down that is! thumb

If the accuracy is satisfactory to you, you are good to go. I'm shooting the 200AB with Re25 and my backup load is Retumbo but my bbl is 28".

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had my best results with 200 grain accubonds using H870. Several sources list 104.0 grains. In my rifle this gives me 3180-3220 depending on the bullet used and the weather.

Posts: 125 | Location: AK | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sniper
bit of the topic but with the tsx and at that velocity you are going to be shearing those petals off a good proportion of the time....you would be better off with the north fork 200 gn proj
daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKhtr

I've also had my best results with H870. Now that I ran out of powder I'm having trouble finding more. Do you know of anyone selling H870?

Herb

Third rebirth of member #117.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
you could try US 869 or WC872 in lieu of the 870

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herb D:
AKhtr

I've also had my best results with H870. Now that I ran out of powder I'm having trouble finding more. Do you know of anyone selling H870?

Herb

Unfortunately its become almost impossible to find and 869 doesn't compare in this case with 200 grainers. Fortunately I have enough for my use here in AK. If I find more getting it to CA would be almost impossible and very cost prohibitive due to hazmat fees.

Posts: 125 | Location: AK | Registered: 20 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AKhutr
You're absolutely right. I've done the comparison also after talking to Hodgdon. At the time they told me 869 was coming out to replace H870, but there's no comparison.

I guess I'll have to go back to 180 AB's and experiment with Retumbo.

Thanks for the reply.

Herb

Third rebirth of member #117.

Posts: 65 | Location: The State of Jefferson, CA | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote