Find
Notify
Tools

Custom brass manufacturer?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted
Has anyone ever looked into having brass made and the costs? For example,I have a .318 Westley Richards rifle that I bought two boxes of Bertrams best overpriced junk brass for. Out of 40 rounds, 16 split their necks on the first firing, I guess they forgot to tell you you need to anneal them before use! I annealed the remainder, but after the second firing, most had loose primer pockets and they were nowhere close to being even a warm load. I since form my own out of WW brass, an easy affair, but I would like to have propery headstamped, quality brass. At the NRA show in Houston, I talked to Starline, but they don't do rifle brass, he said that if they did, it would require an order of 10K rounds. That did not seem too bad, I figure there are sufficiant numbers of these rifles to be able to sell the excess and not go into the hole. I have yet to be able to understand how Bertram is $60 per box of 20 and is just basically a 30/06 with a shorter neck.
Does anyone know who would make up this brass on special order, hopefully a U.S. company? Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2271 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Check out Star Line brass.
I think thier minimum order is 50000 pieces
though.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Check into Grayback Wildcats. They make small runs of hard to find or obsolete brass cases. They're in Klamath Falls, Or. Their ad is always in Handloader magazine also. I'll get their number this evening.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Horneber in Germany will make custom brass; however, they already offer .318 brass on their web site, and they have a fine reputation for quality. You should be able to obtain this brass through Huntington's, for HDS already carries part of the Horneber line. In the US, Rocky Mtn. will turn brass, but it is not cheap, and the case capacity might be a bit lower.

Posts: 978 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote