New
Find
Notify
Tools

LBT 280 & LBT 300 Load suggestion please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have some LBT 44 cal 280 GC LFN with a .45 nose and some 44 cal 300 PB LFN with a .4 nose bullets. Where can I start with some loads. I dont have any experience with these heavy calibers and am hoping someone can give a starting point or someplace where there are some loads listed. I am hoping to develope two loads for the 280 - a fast load with a slow powder like 296,110,2400 that I have on hand or little gun that I dont have and a lighter load with a faster powder like Unique, 231, REd dot for a milder load for most of my shooting. I also have HS6,HS7,bullseye on hand maybe a couple more I forgot. Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Posts: 25 | Location: Lowell, IN | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I load a 310gr LBT style bullet for hunting in my 44mag. I use 20.5gr of H110 and a Win primer in Winchester cases. My 18.5" barreled carbine gives 1575fps. They really hit with thud, and pretty much keep going through whatever you hit.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use a similar load (20.5 H110) in my 7 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk with a 320 grain WLFN and get about 1325 fps. I drop back to 19 H110 for most shooting though. These are horrendous to shoot at the top end!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, to be honest, I don't know what a ".45 nose" on a .44 caliber bullet would be. Seems impossible.

Check out the Beartooth bullets site for load data, as well as the Hodgdon site.

20.0 to 21.5 gr. of H-110 with the 300 gr. bullet will probably be in the ballpark. I use 21.5 gr. of H-110 with a 300 gr. SWC. In some firearms, this can be pretty heavy in the recoil department, so I wouldn't shoot too many at once to keep from developing a flinch.

With your 300 gr. bullet, you might try 18.0 to 19.0 gr. of IMR 4227, a powder which gives me very good results in some guns. This isn't nearly as heavy a load as the H-110 charge above and is very good in my 4" Smith Mountain Gun.

Good luck.

Posts: 157 | Location: The Edge of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Pow
The bullet has a .45 nose length - that's where the crimp groove is from the nose of the bullet. Veral will make a few different lenghts depending on what your gun is. I'm shooting it in a Super Blackhawk Hunter and a Win 94 carbine.

Thanks guys for the start - I'll look into those sites and see what I can find.

Posts: 25 | Location: Lowell, IN | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote