New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flash hole size
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was reloading some Winchester .45 ACP cases the other day and noticed something strange about them. Two different lots of cases had different sizes of flash hole in the case. The more normal ones I have seen had a flash hole of .075" diameter. The others had a flash hole diameter of .130". Both lots were marked the same, "Winchester 45 Auto". Why would they do this? Confused

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the world of "non-toxic" loads.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedI have asked a couple times about the effect created by different size flash holes and never got any gratifying answers. I have thought to run that experiment one day.The sizes differential perhaps will very .015" to .090"; maybe more. Ideas? Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rob Crandall
posted Hide Post
I saw about these. Most reccoment discarding the small primer ones merely for the reason of mixing primers and risk detonating some/all by error. Me being new I will probably do just that. I've got enough things against me gunsmile

Posts: 27 | Location: Nerk Ohio | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rob Crandall
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:

One other note
ricciardelli: your website it fantastic for new guys like myself. I was reading like crazy there! Thanks for all the great work if nobody has said so

Posts: 27 | Location: Nerk Ohio | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Crandall:
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:

One other note
ricciardelli: your website it fantastic for new guys like myself. I was reading like crazy there! Thanks for all the great work if nobody has said so

Thanks...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote