New
Find
Notify
Tools

Berger VLD Seating Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got some 140 grain VLD hunting bullets for my .264. I was following their guideline to find the best seating depth and loading them at .010, .050, .090 and .130 off the lands. I can't seat them deeper than .077. At that point the seating die hits the case mouth. These cases work fine for the Partion and a-frame but I don't know that I've seated those that far. I'm just going to seat them as far as .075 and try for accuracy. But, I thought I'd ask for everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
My best luck as been with seating them as long as possible, or least jump.

Great bullets once the load is dialed in.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What brand of dies are you using?
What part of the die is hitting the case - the crimp shoulder or something else?

How are you adjusting the die from long down to short?

quote:
Originally posted by parshal:
I got some 140 grain VLD hunting bullets for my .264. I was following their guideline to find the best seating depth and loading them at .010, .050, .090 and .130 off the lands. I can't seat them deeper than .077. At that point the seating die hits the case mouth. These cases work fine for the Partion and a-frame but I don't know that I've seated those that far. I'm just going to seat them as far as .075 and try for accuracy. But, I thought I'd ask for everyone's thoughts.

Thanks!

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
What brand of dies are you using?
What part of the die is hitting the case - the crimp shoulder or something else?

How are you adjusting the die from long down to short?

I'm using RCBS dies. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to figure out what part of the die was hitting. It's hitting right at the case mouth, though.

To seat the bullets deeper I'm simply turning the die down and then tightening the ring.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, we can ignore this thread. I woke up realizing the idiocy of my question. I have never set my die to crimp and I've never seated bullets this deep. It's crimping!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found that .010 off of the lands-using the comparator- was the magic spot for my Berger 140 VLD Hunting out of my Rem 260.

I started .050 out and worked in. Magic at 10 thou. off the lands.
I set the lock ring on the seating die and it stays there.
Gary

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Adjust your seating die back out and adjust the seating plug in, to seat bullets deeper.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That's exactly what I did and things are much better.