New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beware - Remington primer issues
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I bought a brick each of Remington 9-1/2 and 9-1/2 Mag. primers a few weeks ago. I loaded up a couple rounds with the 9-1/2M before I noticed that the primers were extending past the case face.
When I measured the 9-1/2Ms I found that they were .131" plus to .133" in height. I measured the 9-1/2s and they also were on the tall side at .131" to almost .134".

My pockets aren't that deeeep.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends I guess on your measuring stick. Mine measures .128 and seated they are .008 below the face of the case.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 9 1/2s I have measure the same as yours. The CCI 200s I have measure .123" - .126". That being said, I've never had a problem with the Rems being too tall. Maybe it's your brass.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didn't need a measuring stick to feel and see the protruding primers. Even tried reseating the primers again but made no dif. My last box of 9-1/2M primers were fine as they seated below the face. Didn't need to measure them as there was no problem.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the problem on both Remington and Winchester brass.
The Winchester brass I checked had pockets at .130" to .1305" deep.
Both were on several time reloaded brass.
I will check some new this week.
By the way I checked some CCI 200s - .1265 to .127",
Winchsester WLR - .127 to .129" & WLRM - .127 to .128".

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rae59:
When I measured the 9-1/2Ms I found that they were .131" plus to .133" in height. I measured the 9-1/2s and they also were on the tall side at .131" to almost .134".

My pockets aren't that deeeep.
Just went and measured the Cutter on my old "Whitetail Design & Engineering" Primer Pocket Squaring Tool and it cuts them 0.1345" Deep.

No idea if they are still in business or not. However, Lyman makes one and if someone who has one would measure it and post the results, it would be helpful to Rae. That way he could Safely use the Primers, if the Lyman cuts as deep as mine.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are your primer pockets clean?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RPSnell:
Are your primer pockets clean?

Yes. I clean the pockets most all of the time.
I need to correct myself on the brass make. It was with Winchester and Frontier brass that the problem showed up on. I was getting ready to prime some Remington brass and had it in a tray waiting to do so.

Thanks for the info H.C. I'll check into the squaring tool. I thought about using a Lee pocket cleaner chucked up in a drill. Should work too.

I think I might have fell victum to extreme spec. tolerances with the Rem. primers on the top end and the Winchester and Frontier brass on the bottom end having .131" at the lower side and .134" at the top. In other words I happened to grab some brass with shallow pockets and stuffed some of the longer Rem. primers in them. At least that is what the caliper thingy shows.

I checked some Remington brass this morning before leaving for work. It has very deep pockets at .134" to almost .140". Of course the primer will stop at the shallowest point just as it probably did on the other makes.

Just a side note, the Remington primers are by far the tallest primers of any I have. Federal 215M were the shortest at .120"-.125". None of the others except the Remingtons were over .129". Now I didn't dump out all of my primers but did spot check several. Who knows, the next tray might be like Butch's and be on the short side.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, I only measured my Remington SR Benchrest primers and Lapua 220 Russian brass.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch, I wish I could count on the Remmy primers being a little shorter than taller, AND not have to do any reaming or retro fitting on the brass. I was actually closing up some groups with the 9-1/2s. Seems to be the only primers doing that on certain loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the info H.C. I'll check into the squaring tool. I thought about using a Lee pocket cleaner chucked up in a drill. Should work too. ...
Glad to help. I do not remember if the Cutter is Carbide on my tool or not. It could just be High Speed Steel. But, I just turn it by hand.

Not sure if the Lee tool is Sharp enough to cut the Pocket and do it Square or not. The Lee Pocket Cleaner I had at one time was kinda square across the bottom. OK to clean the ash and residue out, but I don't remember it removing Brass. Maybe it will work for you though.

If you have a Gun Shop near you that sells Reloading goodies, they would probably let you measure one of the Lyman tools.

Some of my Best Loads are with the Rem 9 1/2M.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Lyman pocket uniformer and it works,that said if you have a lot of brass to work you might be better with something you can put in a drill.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HC,
I believe all White Tails are carbide.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whitetail Design & Engineering" Primer Pocket Squaring Tool

Does that count as a “thingy”? Big Grin

A lot of people don’t square up their primer pockets around here and think it’s just one of those useless tools. They may get confused as to the value of that “thingy”.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
quote:

Does that count as a “thingy”? Big Grin

Oh my, I am going to be needing a "THINGY"!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
quote:

Does that count as a “thingy”? Big Grin...
(Looking around in every direction.) Ssssssshh!!! Don't say it too loud or Mr. Woods will hear about it. dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
HC,
I believe all White Tails are carbide.
Butch
That makes sense because I believe I got mine back in the `70s and it is still going strong. Plus I use it on every Case I fire to Clean the Primer Pocket and re-square, so it has gotten a lot of use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if you're measuring the primer cup only, as it would normally be when properly seated, or including the protrusion of the anvil.

Lyman's Primer Pocket Uniformer works fine when the cutter is chucked in a drill.

---------------------------------------------

"--one trillion dollar defecit = 31.5 million seconds of Obama presidency--"

And that was only his first year. He was much more active last year. GO, TEA Party!

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
I wonder if you're measuring the primer cup only, as it would normally be when properly seated, or including the protrusion of the anvil.

Lyman's Primer Pocket Uniformer works fine when the cutter is chucked in a drill.

---------------------------------------------

"--one trillion dollar defecit = 31.5 million seconds of Obama presidency--"

And that was only his first year. He was much more active last year. GO, TEA Party!

I measured the entire depth of the primer with the anvil. I popped the primers back out of the '06 cases once I saw them sticking up past the case faces. I will seat some more and measure the amount of "stick out" past the case face. The anvils on the 9-1/2s would not allow the primers to seat any deaper or they would have done so, as I did try to seat them further. Will take another look this weekend.

Hey H.C. I am assuming that the Redding pocket uniformer is the same or nearly so as the Whitetail? Midway has the Redding in their monthly flyer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey H.C. I am assuming that the Redding pocket uniformer is the same or nearly so as the Whitetail? ...
No idea, but I'd think it would be quite close to the same. You could always call Redding and ask them.

Apparently there aren't many of us out here that Square Primer Pockets.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I use the RCBS Trim Mate to square all of my cases when new. Once fired, I also run them thru the squaring tool to assist with cleaning the primer pockets.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Whitetail is solid carbide, both small and large rifle. I have another RCBS? primer pocket tool. The cutter part is carbide, but the rest of the tool is mild steel. I would think most of them are carbide to stay sharp cutting the primer pocket residue.
Butch