Notify
Tools

Roll crimp or Taper crimp?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RugerNiner
posted
for 40 caliber?
Hornady makes both and I need to know which I want to order.

Posts: 35 | Location: Lancaster, Pa | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I own a great amount of Hornady rifle dies but as crimps go I say the 4 die Lee set has the best crimp of any die I've used

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taper for the 40

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2646 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
One word for crimp dies...Lee.

Lee Factory Crimp dies are the best in my opinion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't roll crimp any pistol round that headspaces on the case mouth. You should not need to crimp a .40 cal at all; just make the case straight again, ie, remove the mouth bell.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with dpcd here - if you're talking .40 S&W, don't crimp at all, as you could be drastically altering headspace dimensions (Bad thing to do).

If you're talking a .40 rifle calibre (Rimmed, belted or rimless), a Lee Factory Crimp die does a fine job, but is not REALLY necessary.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taper crimps for me in autos.

If i crimp at all.Usually just take out any bell in the case.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on taper crimp on autos.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With jacketed bullets I would do as dcpd said and just take the flare out of the case mouth. Now if we're talking lower pressure plinking cast loads a roll crimp or taper crimp both are fine. Take my 45acp's for an example. My cast loads have the bullet controlling the headspace. NRA claims you can put up to a .020 roll crimp on the 45 acp with no headspace issues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a rule of thumb you should never use anything BUT a taper crimp on those cartridges that headspace on the case mouth.

So only ever put a taper crimp on 30 M1 Carbine, 380 ACP (aka 9mm Short) 45 ACP, 9mm Luger and you can either taper crimp OR roll crimp those cartridges that headspace on the case rim OR semi-rim.

Such as 32 ACP, 38 Super, 455 Webley Automatic and of course any and all revolver cartridges such as 38 Special and 44 Magnum.

The only exception being 45 ACP for use in a Smith & Wesson or Colt 1917 revolver.

With revolver cartridges I did sometimes use to in fact put a taper crimp on 455 Revolver cartridges as that was actually correct.

We British called it "coning". The 455 Revolver military cartridges being held in by a stab crimp or cannelure and the case mouth itslef being taper crimped (or "coned") around the bullet.

But as a rule of thumb never put anything but a taper crimp on cartridges that headspace on the case mouth. On cartridges that headspace on the case rim or semi-rim do as you please.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
As a rule of thumb you should never use anything BUT a taper crimp on those cartridges that headspace on the case mouth.

So only ever put a taper crimp on 30 M1 Carbine, 380 ACP (aka 9mm Short) 45 ACP, 9mm Luger and you can either taper crimp OR roll crimp those cartridges that headspace on the case rim OR semi-rim.

Such as 32 ACP, 38 Super, 455 Webley Automatic and of course any and all revolver cartridges such as 38 Special and 44 Magnum.

The only exception being 45 ACP for use in a Smith & Wesson or Colt 1917 revolver.

With revolver cartridges I did sometimes use to in fact put a taper crimp on 455 Revolver cartridges as that was actually correct.

We British called it "coning". The 455 Revolver military cartridges being held in by a stab crimp or cannelure and the case mouth itslef being taper crimped (or "coned") around the bullet.

But as a rule of thumb never put anything but a taper crimp on cartridges that headspace on the case mouth. On cartridges that headspace on the case rim or semi-rim do as you please.

All current 38 Supers headspace on the case mouth. In fact some brass manufacturers make rimless 38 super brassl I'm not going to argue with you on the rest just to say you're not totally right as most bullets made for automatic cartridges don't have a crimping groove. You can't roll crimp a bullet that doesn't have a crimp groove..only to take out what mouth flare you may have put it in. Some automatic cases have a cannelure groove on the case to prevent bullet set back such as the 45acp.