New
Find
Notify
Tools

NECK SIZE OR FL SIZE
 Login/Join

<SWAMPFOOT>
posted
I AM new to reloading and i was going through some of the old pages on this forum and i read that if you are shooting the cases in one gun,the same gun always you dont need to fl size just neck size. can you set up a fl die to neck size only, or do you have to purchase a neck only sizing die.
if you can set up a fl die to neck size only will some please explain how. the reason for neck sizing is to help prolong the life of the brass ? is that true? thanks in advance

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most FL resizing dies will allow partial resizing, some will allow you to only neck size. It depends on the die. For the partial sizing route, just back the die off enough so that when you run the case up inside it, you see the neck has been resized and you have just barely touched the shoulder. Clean the case and make sure it fits the chamber. Some types of rifles (semi's, levers, pumps) aren't real partial to this method. Hope this helps - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Zeke>
posted
I full length size for my .270WCF.
I smoke the top of a case with a candle and adjust the sizer die to just barely touch the top of the shoulder of a once fired case. This technique gives me very good results, case life has been good so far.
I did purchase a RCBS neck sizer die for my .270 and the results were less than positive and I am too cheap to buy a Redding neck sizer. Rather spend the money on components.

ZM

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Swampfoot, Full length resize you brass as the die instruction say, shell holder tight against the fl die. Being a new reloader, this will work best for you. Neck sizing will not make the brass last longer, as the neck is the area that cracks or splits first. There are Redding bushing dies that work the brass less, and use no expander,but this method requires neck turning. So stay with fl resizing.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote