Find
Notify
Tools

Into the lands?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone loading into the lands?

If so what seating depth do you start from?

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
some target loads shoot best seated into the lands
hunting loads and plinking loads are adjusted for feed and function.
i have shot berger vld bullets loades as much as .020" into the lands with a good tight grip on the bullet.
you need to stRT LOW AND WORK UP, PAYING ATTENTION TO VELOCITIES AND PRESSURES.
most bullets will shoot good seated at .005" up to around .020" off the lands.
some high pressure cartrages like 7mm mag or the 300win mag may need a little more jump to keep from causing erattic pressur spikes and over pressure conditions.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bullet94, There is a good bit of "hivelosity's" post I agree with and some I do differently. Doesn't mean he is wrong, just different from me.

I agree that some of my Target Loads shoot their best when Seated Into-the-Lands. I believe about the MAX Into-the-Lands I Seat though is 0.010". If I go more than that, the Bullet just gets shoved back into the Case some when chambering. And some of them get pushed back a bit at 0.010" I-t-L.

Also agree that it is proper to keep an eye out for all the normal Pressure Indicators, but of course that is true with every Load Development. I don't concern myself with whatever the Velocity happens to be, since it is not a Pressure Indicator.

I also agree that some of the typically "high Pressure" cartridges perform very well with a bit of jump to the Lands. And the same can be said for the lower Pressure cartridges (some of them) as well.

Is there a particular reason you are interested in this? A specific Cartridge in mind?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to see what others are doing and thought this might be of interest to some.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
some other thoughts.
You can load into the lands using any one of those methods.
soft seating is one where the bullet grip is very light .0005" to .001" the bullets or the inside of the neck is lubed with a dry type lube and just started into the case. you need to know what over all length is with that style or type bullet seated to the lands.
when the cartrage is chambered the bullet is forced into the rifling and into the case, when the bolt is closed then that finishes seating the bullet. it also aleigns the cartrage in the chamber.
i like to use all avaliable methods when working up loads. the chrono is one of those tool that can give you a lot of informatrion
velocity spike are also pressure indicators
if you shoot the same load at .010" off the land and one .010' into the lands you will see a velocity change usually around 20 to 30 f/s
And the velocity will almost always go up.
As does the pressure.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote