Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Buying a chronograph
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted
I have three Chronys...two original F-1 models and one Gamma Master. they all work flawlessly, as long as I set them up correctly.

For my "muzzle velocity" reading I set them at 15' from the muzzle, and I always use the sky screens. I also make sure that I am shooting towards the north or the south.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not sure where to post this, so I'll try here. I want to buy a chrono but would like help on selecting one. Have any of you had trouble getting one to read? We used to have one at our archery shop and sometimes had to fire 10 shots through to get a reading. Would also like info on how far to set it up from the bench and is there any problems with using on sunny or cloudy days.
Thanks in advance,
Jump

Posts: 39 | Location: Casper, WY | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I have owned several, starting with an ITCC which used wire start and stop screens that you had to break with the bullet to get it to work. Then I got an Oehler with Skyscreens (which I still have), but I now use a Shooting Chrony. The Oehlers are of course, top-drawer, but I compared the results from my Chrony (a BETA model) with the Oehler, and both were withing +-5 FPS of giving the same average results for a number iof different calibers. So I now use the Chrony because it only takes me about 10 minutes to set it up using a camera tripod.

I set my chronographs up so that the midpoint between start and stop screens is 10' from the muzzle of the rifle I am testing. I measured the distance out initially, and put a spray-paint spot on the ground in front of the shooting bench where the center of the tripod goes. So all I have to do is set the tripod up centered on that spot, open the Chrony, aim it at the 100-yard target, and, sighting from the bench, adjust the height so that the bullet goes through the space between the aiming rods about 1" below the top of the rods. This height adjustment is very important to keep you from shooting the Chrony. I have found the 10' distance far enough to keep muzzle blast and even smoke from BP rifles from affecting the readings!

The only time I ever had false or no readings from my Chrony was when I was testing SXS double rifles. I was not making sure that axis of the barrel I was firing was exactly in the center of the aiming rods. As soon as I slid the sandbag rifle rest over a couple of inches, everything started working O.K.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Pro Chrono Digital from Competetion Electronics last year, and it's been a good choice. It's light and easy to set up without any cords to worry about. I shoot on a public range and set up time is important. You only have so much of it between shooting breaks. For the money I like it better than the Shooting Chrony because it gives you a much larger area to shoot over. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
You should do a search on chronies, as alot of information has already been discussed on this in the past.

I have a shooting chrony, and it works relatively well, except that under angled lighting conditions, which Alaska suffers in the winter, I have trouble getting readings.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I just use an el-cheapo beta chrony. It seems to do real well if the simple instructions are followed. On overcast days I dont bother with the sun screens and I set it up roughly 10' from the muzzle.

Once Ive finished developing a load for a given rifle my chrony does a fine job of decorating the shelf in my garage. Im happy with it, although I have considered getting the printer add on.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Own an Oehler 35, no problems, would highly recommend

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've own a Oehler 35p since 1988 only problem is a 17 when speed gets over 4000fps may not pick up every shot plus like the extra screen what is called a proof screen. I set mine up about 10'. You can set the screens up on 4' pipe or 2' plus they make an adapter to mount on camera bipods. I use the 2' set up and got a shotgun take down case and have everything in their. Easy storage and carry case. Well good luck

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you turn the Chrony on it's side it will work under odd
lighting.
Good luck!

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
Tom,
You can set your screens up at most any spacing you want. If you are missing shots with your 17 try using a greater spacing. I set mine up at 10' when clocking velocities in the 4000 fps neighborhood and it never misses if set out properly. Jim

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had a Beta Chrony and had a fit getting regular readings if lighting was not perfect. I sent it back several times. I have to drive best part of an hour to a shooting range. I work hard, so it is hard to find time with day light to check out my loads . I got really frustrated on working out several new loads only to have sporadic or no numbers to judge my handloads. Finally bought a Oehler p35. No problems so far. I did the turn on the side trick with the beta chrony. No numbers. Maybe I just got a bad one. Maybe me and electronics don't go well together. The p35 seems to be awesome. It costs as much as 3 or 4 Betas. I am reminded of something my mom told me once. " The rich are rich partly because they can afford to buy the best the first time. Then they don't have to keep buying all the replacements over and over again of the cheap stuff that works when it wants to." Not true 100% but contains truth none the less. Good hunting "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "guts" (processors and chips) of most of the machines on the markets are excellent, cheap, and essentially identical (the same Taiwanese or Malaysian chips), and they are also virtually foolproof.

The difference comes in the detectors (sky screens), and also in the way in which the detectors are arrayed. Most concede that the Oehler screens are the most consistent (although not foolproof). That's not to say that if you don't mind a few "dropped" shots that the less expensive units aren't sufficient. I have an Oehler that is so dependable that I don't bother with the "third" screen (proof channel), since it is largely superfluous. My recommendation: Buy the Oehler and economize by NOT buying the proof screen.

And, oh yes, spacing from the muzzle. I run mine closer than most people (front screen about 5 feet away and I use a 4-foot screen spacing). With the Oehler, where there is no unit downrange, a location close to the muzzle is acceptable. With the "all-in-one" units, you may need them a little further away to protect from muzzle blast. So long as the unit/screens are far enough from the muzzle not to be knocked over or blow about by the muzzle blast, the closer to the muzzle, the easier the "sweet spot" of the screen is to hit, and the more latitude you have with target placement if you are shooting for group at the same time you test velocity.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with "Shooting Chrony" (I have an Oehler) but here is one for sale on Ebay:

Shooting Chrony

FWIW,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote