New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder tricklers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As soon as my tax return rolls in I'm going to become a reloader! I've gotten a lot of information from past posts on this board about the best of each particular component and have made many of my selections according to these recommendations (after a little additional homework of my own). The one thing that doesn't seem to have been discussed much is powder tricklers. Now, I know that this isn't exactly the heart of the relaoding process, but is there any advantage to one over the other? I'm not going to be in a hurry while reloading so I'm planning on getting a manual trickler. Are there any that seem to work really well, or others that I should avoid that just don't work well at all? My only thought was to get one of the same manufacturer as my scale so that the dimensions would match up (height mainly), but if there was a really good one out there that was too short I suppose I could make a "step stool" for it!

TIA,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the powder trickler that comes in an RCBS Rockchukcer kit.

I have modified it in 2 ways:
1) New knob with 2 diameters for high speed and low speed trickling
3) Turned upside down and filled with molten lead to make a more stable base for the light weight Alluminum casting trickler.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob, I've used the RCBS Trickler for well over four decades. There may be better ones, but I believe they would not fit my hand. [Big Grin]

I've also made 2 mods to mine, but unlike Clark I call them 1 & 2. [Wink]

1) I turned the tube so the hole inside the hopper is "Up" and then I made a RED mark on top of the tube near the spout. That lets me know the powder will flow freely if the Red Mark is up and I "tilt" the Trickler.

This allows you some control of the "flow rate" if you tilt the Trickler toward the pan. I'll often put Powder in the scale pan just using the Trickler and not even get the Powder Measure out if it is only 18 cases or so.

2) Where the tube passes through the hopper, I've coated the tube with powdered graphite to slick up the turning. Now it turns like it is on air bearings. DO NOT use a liquid Lube.

The powdered graphite works well on the barrel of the Powder Measure too.

[ 03-13-2003, 04:08: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've also been using the RCBS trickler and think it works fine with all sizes of powder that I have used.

I do like the improvements that have been mentioned, especially the handle/knob allowing high speed turning.

Posts: 21 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'm new at this, but like the Redding.

Posts: 9 | Location: Middlebury, Vermont | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with the Redding trickler. I had an RCBS, but took it back because it didn't have enough weight to it (moved around on the table too much when turning the knob). I love RCBS products, but that was one I didn't care for much.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Bobvthunter,

I've got a RCBS trickler or two (don't ask)that have spent the better part of 35 years still packed away in their boxes. I began by using them but soon ended up grabbing an empty case that isn't of the calibre that I'm reloading. After adjusting the powder measure to throw slightly light, I throw a charge into the oddball case and use that as a trickler. Just turning it between fingers and altering the angle to the horizontal you can, with a little practice, trickle a single powder granule into the pan.

I also have an old pair of tweezers on the bench to remove a couple of granules out of the pan when my hand loses some of its steadiness.

welcome to reloading - cheers edi

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
The electronic units from Midway or Frankford Arsenal are pretty handy. For manual, I'd probably go with the Redding.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS and my only complaint is that the body isn't tall enough and the tube isn't long enough to use with my digital scale... I have to hold it in my hand. That would be a good product to make <attention manufacturers>, a trickler designed for digital scales. If there is already one out there and I missed it, please inform me. [Smile]

Ruger#1

[ 04-02-2003, 20:34: Message edited by: Ruger#1 ]

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
The electronic ones come with a removal pedestal for just this reason.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Abe Normal>
posted
bobvthunter,

The link below may be of some of interest to you...
Great cheap reloading product