Find
Notify
Tools

9mm loads
 Login/Join

Picture of Undertaker
posted
Hi Guys

I just got a P85 Ruger- looking for some pet loads, not insane but for plinking loads, and some for making power factor for IDPA
I have loaded 38, 357, 45ACP for a long time, never 9mm
Thanks
Dave

Posts: 13 | Location: Ontario | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I like Unique & Universal for 124-125gr bullets, Unique is especially good w/ lead bullets. Nothing wrong w/ HP38, WST or W231 for 115gr bullets. Just about any of the fast to med. burners work well in the 9mm. You should have little trouble reaching 1200fps w/ a 124-125gr bullet.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
Try 5.7grs Unique, WSP, and any 124 grain jacketed bullet. The load is fairly mild, but extremely accurate. So is 4.9grs. WSF.

Picture of Undertaker
posted Hide Post
Have you guys ever used bullseye powder for 9mm??
I use it for 45 ACP, and 38 special, also use 700X for 38

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Bullseye is fine for light target loads. It's pretty close to W231 & HP38, not my favorite, but it will work fine.
http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg.taf?_function=pisto...ulletdescr=125%20FMJ

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Undertaker
posted Hide Post
you guys have been VERY helpful Thank you

posted Hide Post
I'm feeling VERY competent to respond to this, being an IDPA shooter who reloads 9mm and just got a chronograph. (Big head alert off.) Read with salt nearby.

That said, to achieve the 125,000 power factor, a 115g bullet needs to be going 1087 fps, and a 124g needs to be going 1009 fps. The rulebook doesn't specify whether this is the peak velocity for any single round, or the average of a certain number. I tend to shoot 10-shot strings, and will give the AVERAGE velocity results that I've seen.

I've used Accurate and Universal Clays in my 9mm loads so far. I shoot a Browning Hi Power, which has about a 4.75" barrel. So YMMV.

For reference, Winchester White Box 115g FMJ goes 1179 fps thru my chrono. I've recorded 115g Remington FMJ over 6.7g of AA #5 at 1143 fps, and this is what I tend to shoot in IDPA matches. It's comfortable and more than accurate enough.

I've experimented with Rainier 115 and 124 plated bullets. The hottest 115 plated load I've tried was with 6.0g of AA #5, and that only went 1061 fps, not quite up to IDPA standards. This is actually 0.2g OVER the max load shown in the Accurate data book (volume 2) for this bullet and powder, and doesn't reach the velocity shown for their maximum load, so I didn't pursue this further.

The Rainier 124g plated bullet went 1063 fps using 4.3g of Universal Clays. This is the maximum load of this powder that Hodgdon specifies for 124g lead bullets, and the minimum specified for the 124g Sierra FMJ. As plated bullet load data typically falls between lead and jacketed bullets of the same weight, I think these loads are probably OK, but you need to work up to them yourself in your gun to be sure you're not seeing any signs of excess pressure.

I've had fine results with my 115g loads in the few IDPA matches I've participated in so far, EXCEPT for two stages at one match that included falling steel plates. I found I had to hit those very near the top in order to get them to fall, whereas the 40 and 45 shooters knocked 'em down with a single shot to just about anywhere. That's an obvious demonstration of mass times velocity, and I probably would have done better on those stages with a 124g, or better a 147g, bullet going as fast as I could push it.

I am going to work up some 115g FMJ loads using Universal, as I think it's a bit cleaner burning and a bit cheaper than #5. It's also what I use in my 20 gauge skeet loads, so serves two purposes.

Posts: 11 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Undertaker
posted Hide Post
I have found with revolver loads for 38 special too, heavier bullet makes it better for IDPA steel runs.
I will try a few loads on the 9mm, see how we do
Thanks
Dave