THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Recommended Bullet Manufacturers for 300 Weatherby

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended Bullet Manufacturers for 300 Weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm going to be handloading for a new Mauser M03 barrel in 300 Weatherby (25" long, 1:10 twist). And wanted a recommendation on bullets.

First, I haven't decided whether I'm going to go with 180 or 200 gr bullets. I also have a 375 H&H barrel for the same rifle and figure I'd shot any really big things like a brown bear or big antelope with 260 gr or 300 gr 375 H&H, so thought may going with a 180.

Main uses: Elk, Alaska, African Plainsgame

Target is 3,000 FPS for 200 grain; 3,200 for 180 grain,

Question:
Which manufacturer would you recommend:

Choices:
Swift A-Frame
Northfork SS
Barnes TSX
Whichever of the three above groups best

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd sell the weatherby and just use the 375.
it will shoot to 300 yds no problem.
it can be loaded for everything from whitetails through the brown bears and beyond.
the 300 is pretty redundant.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Barnes is a hammer. I would consider dropping down to the 165 or 150 to reduce some of the overlap with the 375. As Lamar said, either gun will do the deal.

Nothing wrong with overlaps, though. I have more than a few!

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of rifles..... I bought the 300 Weath M03 barrel to replace my 300 RUM (which I loved, but was a Rem Sendero with a bull barrel).

And I got the M03 in 375 H&H because my Ruger RSM is just to damn heavy to carry all the time, especially in Alaska.

I usually hunt here in Texas with a 243, 308 Win, or 8x57. But also have a 7 MAG I'm making into a mountain rifle, 35 Whelen for my son, and a 404 Jeff for the really big stuff. Never can have to many rifles.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot many Northfork bullets with .300 Winny, 7mm Stw, .340 Wby, .338 Lapua, .358 STA. I also shoot many Nosler bullet of all kinds, Barnes of all kinds and Swift A-Frame. I will shoot the bullet that groups best and tests best in my test box. Usually that bullet is the Northfork. I have used it in all of North America and Africa. Mike Brady made an awesome bullet and the new guys are following nicely. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I left out my .270 WSM's which shoot a 130 grain Northfork at 3400 fps plus with pin point accuracy. That accuracy and speed is specific to the Northfork bullet, all others cannot match the speed or accuracy. It is my go to Deer load. When I go for larger animals I use a 160 grain Nosler Partition load that out performs the 150 grain Northfork for accuracy. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new, M 03 barrels. I own six of them. 22-250, 6.5X55, 308, 308 suppressed, 375 H&H, and 404 Jeffery. Although you did not mention them, Accubonds would be an excellent choice for both rifles.

As we all know the Whbys were designed around the motto- "Speed Kills". For thin skinned "deer" 150-165. Elk, Moose move up.

For bear the 260 or 300 grain Accubonds or Partitions for the 375.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the Above.

180gr Nosler BT/Accubonds.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Northfork, hands down. It'll be plenty accurate enough.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TSX

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote