New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thanks to all
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some time ago I posted a thread asking for sugestions of a rstarting reloader setup,,,lots of replies and thanks for the help, I thought I would say thanks and post a review of what I ended up with, I ended up with,

LEE Classic Cast Press,
I tried a Rockchuncker supreme and this press and went with the lee, For me it felt better and seems to be as well made as the rockchucker S. The primar catch system is nice and neat, I deprimed and sized 200 30-30 cases and the press was as clean as when I started, all primers and gunk were snug and safe inside the tube at the botton of the press, not a single problem, The priming arm that comes with the press has worked very well, As slow as I am going and as easy and well as it works I have felt no need to start using the hand priming tool I purchased. The on tool prime works real well with a good feel as to when the primer is home. This press has maga leverage! I crushed a couple of 7mm-08 cases setting my dies and learning how things worked and did not even realise it. The handle can be adjusted for lenght and this is nice as well, the only gripe I had with the press was that the wooden ball came off the handle first thing but I have pined it and that should not be a problem again.

Redding dies,
very nice, my 7mm-08 dies are easy to adjust and seem to be very well made

Redding trim set.
Works wery well, bolt it down and trim away.

Franklin A, calipers,,,,
they do their job well

Imperial sizing wax,,,
THIS IS GOOD STUFF, very easy to use and cleans up the brass some when you polish it off

New Lymon manual, very good information and instruction.
Older Hornady manual, good backup for the Lymon

I already had a 505 powder measure scale and have been measuring every load with it, also have a Hornady powder measure/drop but will not use it till I start with pistol. I have been using my lee dippers and then a trickeler with the 505 to get the powder charges as close as posible which is very close.

The first 2 complete relaoded shells I made were also the first two shot through my new rem mountain rifle in 7mm-08.

139 grain SST or interbond " both have shot the same, I plan on hunting wth the interbonds"
44 grains Varget
new Winchester brass
CCI 200 primer
no crimp
I used the instruction in my Lymon manual to set the bullet out to just almost meet the lands,,,fortinatly the max mag lenght for my gun matches this measurment and shoots great.

They were 1/4 inch apart at 100 yards,,,,the next two turned it into one jagged collection of holes you could cover with a nickle. I am a very happy camper.

I have shot 30 or so of these loads now setting my 1.5x6 burris signiture and none have grouped over MOA, the last 10 were from the gun after final sighting in and all have been sub MOA. Did I mention I am one happy camper? I just reset the trigger to 3.5 pounds from the factory 6.8 and expect this to make the gun a little easier to shoot well.

The only gripe I have with the gun is that the 3rd shot and up will start to move around some say 1.5 moa, give the gun 30 mins to cool down though after the 2nd shot and it stays true.

42 grains Varget gave horrible results,,,3moa or so,,unreal what the difference in 2 grains will do.

Now to load some 100 grain Coyote blower uppers.

I plan on

100 grain sierra hollow points
44 grains varget

have 5 loaded and will try out ASAP!!!

Great fun this reloading sorry for the long post, but wanted to say thanks and let any other newcomers to the "sport" of relaoding know how easy and fun it is!

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
You gotta love it when a plan comes together!!!

Good luck!!!!

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beginners luck + reading and following directions very carefully = sub MOA

I like that formula!

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not post what lenght the rounds were,,,

The max mag lenght in my rifle is 2.820 so that is where I set my 139 grain sst's. To the lands in this rifle with this bullet is 2.844. So I am setting .024 off the lands?This is the only seating depth I have tried but the rezults have been so good that I have not played around with any others!

Here are some groups I have with it, only shot 30 rounds or so as of now, Wish I had not tried the third shot on this one group, most two shot groups are this close then the barrel heats up and wonders some.

One hole two shots

another couple while I was adjusting

couple of adusting groups