Find
Notify
Tools

ACCUBOND BULLET
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted
I am wondering who has any exp with these bullets. I am thinking about them for a few different rifles. 30-06, 7mm 08, 25-06, 375 H&H
I would like to know how they work on bigger game and how well they hold up to real world hunting. What percentage of weight is retained ect.

Thanks

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
they are still somewhat frangible, but stronger than the BT. I took a pronghorn at 407yds with a 160gr 7mm from the rem mag this Oct and it pretty much mulched the interior. A pard used it at 225yds on a whitetail this summer and she went down with about a 1/2 dollar exit hole. Both animals were impressed enough to expire quickly.

I plan to try them on hogs as well. I would venture a guess that the heavier for caliber versions would be plenty enough for even Elk.

Even the 407yd shot was a clean passthrough so I can't tell you anything about weight retention.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I have loaded some, but have yet to shoot any game with them. However, aquaintances who used them on game up to elk last fall told me that the performance was quite similar to that of Nosler's Partition Jacket bullets, including depth of penetration, size of wound channels, and retained weight-retained weight being in the 55%-65% range-for those few bullets that were recovered from the animals!

None had any complaints about them, including their accuracy!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's good news El Deguello. I'm working up loads with both the AccuBond and Partition in a .300 H&H bound for Africa.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
SwiftShot,

I just returned from Namibia where I used 180 grn Accubonds in my .300 win mag to take Zebra, Kudu, Gemsbok, and Springbok. None of the animals moved more than 20 yards from the spot where they were shot, all were single shot kills except for the Gemsbok, and the 2nd shot probably wasn't necessary. The only bullet that exited was on the Springbok. All shots were through the shoulder, the closest being the Zebra at about 160 yards and the farthest the Kudu just over 300 yards. The skinners recovered the bullets from the Gemsbok and the Kudu, I haven't had a chance to weigh them yet, if I can tomorrow I will post the weights and some pictures. I am very pleased with their performance.

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKJD:
SwiftShot,

I just returned from Namibia where I used 180 grn Accubonds in my .300 win mag to take Zebra, Kudu, Gemsbok, and Springbok. None of the animals moved more than 20 yards from the spot where they were shot, all were single shot kills except for the Gemsbok, and the 2nd shot probably wasn't necessary. The only bullet that exited was on the Springbok. All shots were through the shoulder, the closest being the Zebra at about 160 yards and the farthest the Kudu just over 300 yards. The skinners recovered the bullets from the Gemsbok and the Kudu, I haven't had a chance to weigh them yet, if I can tomorrow I will post the weights and some pictures. I am very pleased with their performance.

JD

I would really like to see these pictures, my luck has not been quite as good. I just shot a dall sheep with a 180 gr Accubond and recovered the bullet. The bullet had little weight retention with only about a 1/4" of the base left. I shot it out of a 300 Jarrett at about 3250 fps. I think this is a little too fast for this bullet and could have been the problem. My buddy shot his sheep with the same bullet out of a 300 WSM. He had a nice exit hole. Of course no bullet was recovered. 2700 to 2900 might be better for this bullet. But most people I talk to see to view this as more of a whitetail type bullet. I think the jury is still out.

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the quality of the photo. The bullet on the left was recovered from the Kudu and weighs 121.1 grains. The one on the right from the Gemsbok weighs 100.3.

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pictures. I have been thinking about using them in the 375 for elk and was a little nervous. I will not be pushing them near as fast as some of these guys roughly 2700. I dont think they will blow up in the more conservative loads.

Thanks guys nice pics

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used 180 gr in my 300 Win on Plains game this year, and was quite happy with how they performed.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierra2:
That's good news El Deguello. I'm working up loads with both the AccuBond and Partition in a .300 H&H bound for Africa.
LLS

That should give you some good basis for evaluation of the Accubond!

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKJD:
Sorry for the quality of the photo. The bullet on the left was recovered from the Kudu and weighs 121.1 grains. The one on the right from the Gemsbok weighs 100.3.

Looking at your pictures and remaining weight, if that 180-grain bullet hit that kudu at 300 yards, it would have just over 2400 FPS remaining velocity upon impact. It seems that it is a pretty frangible bullet indeed to lose that much weight and to have mushroomed that much at such a low speed. Of course, this is but one example, but it starts one thinking!

The bullet from the zebra would have been interesting.

one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
About all I can add is that I shot the animals, they died. The Springbuck dropped on the spot, the other 3 didn't go far before they were down. The Accubonds worked pretty good as far as I'm concerned. The end result is what matters to me.

JD

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about internals or meat damage say compared to a Nosler Partitions and Ballistic tip?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot one Buck w/an .270 140 grn accubond last year. 60 yrs, pass thru, very nice hole cored right thru him, very little trauma to meat around wound. Worked very well on this close shot.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics and input guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with them on game, but the 200 gr. Accubond is the most accurate bullet I've found for my .300 Weatherby, loaded to 3000+ f.p.s.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote