New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 x 284 Opinions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Thinking of converting one of my many .270's to a 6.5 x 284 as an all around deer sized game rig. Just looking for opinions on this cartridge.

Thanks--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of duikerman
posted Hide Post
I'd far rather see a .270 converted to 6.5-06 than 6.5-284 as that's the case size the rifle is designed for.

Posts: 770 | Location: colorado | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The 6.5-06 would be a lot easier and your rifle is made to feed that case. They both have the same capacity.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I like mine, it's a good versatile cartridge. From 100 grain BT's at 3400 fps to 140 grain SP's at 2800 fps.
Mine shoots like this at 400 yards using 142 grain SMKs in my long range varmint load:

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersI probably owned one of the first 6.5x284s and it was just fine because it was deep throated. It is no better, however, than a .256 Newton or a nice long necked deep throated 6.5-06 that will handle 160gr bullets.
Feed in this case will not be a problem.JMHO. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I do dearly love my 6.5/284 and think it may be the best rifle that I will or have ever owned and shot. However it is built on a Remington 700 SHORT ACTION, and you have a long action to work with. I also think that the .270 Win properly loaded is one hell of a cartridge. One which doesn't really give anything up to a 6.5/284 or the 6.5-06. They are simply too close in performance to differ greatly on game. Now if you are talking of converting to long range target shooting, then i think the various 6.5 bullets may give you more to choose from. The quality of the build will be more important than this decision. Those are my thoughts.

beer

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'll buck the trend here. If I was building a 6.5x284 & couldn't do it on a med. size/98 action, the long action is the way to go. It may have the same cap. as a 6.5-06 but when you move that bullet out a bit you will gain a bit more powder cap. & magazine length isn't a problem when loading long 140gr bullets like the TSX or NP. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, thanks for all the input. The input I got from the smith handling the project was to use the number IV action from one of my SAKO's instead of a III action, as they would modify the detachable mag box, and it would feed flawlessly, and allow longer seating of bullets if desired.

I am a big fan of the .270, this smith just recommended the 6.5 x 284, said it would be flatter shooting at long range, and more consistent, I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if this is true or not, so I was just wanting some unvarnished input.

Thanks again--Don

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I built mine on a short M1999 action, acually a med lenght. The Nosler manual shows load density with a OAL of 3.115" nothing listed is more then 90 % of case capasity, most run~ 80% useing any bullet wgt. I wouldn`t worry about action lenght, this rd should give within 50 fps whan used in a 2.8" action from what you`ll get in a long one. You just won`t gain enought to make it worth while. I would though stay with a 24" or larger barrel. This rd uses real slow powders well and a long barrel helps squeeze everything out of them you can.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Fish, your gunsmith may be correct if you are talking extreme range, but at normal hunting dostance, out to 400yds max, there isn't enough diff. between a .270 & 6.5x.284 for most to be able to notice. If you just want one, go for it, but there is little perf. increase.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fredj338, thanks, He has led me to believe that the proverbial 'inherent' accuracy, is better than a .270 Win. I have a bunch of .270's which meet my accuracy demands (which are fairly high) so I remain curious. I have, and will in the future, take some shots out to 500 yards, so maybe that is some issue, I'll have to research that some more...

Ol' Joe, I appreciate your thoughts, I was planning on a barrel at 23", but 24" won't be an issue to me, if I decide to build one!!