Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Differences between powders?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm brand new to reloading, but I've read some about it. I understand that different powders burn at different rates, and that powders come both in stick and ball types.

However, I'm curious whether some powders are of higher quality than others. For example, do some burn more cleanly than others? Do some provide more consistent velocities than others?

Also, what practical differences are there between the stick and ball powders?

Thanks!
Eric.

Posts: 6 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can learn a great deal here:

http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm

one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
Wow, no a simple answers here. Many of us have been chasing those topics for years! Unfortunatly there is not a yes / no answer for them.

DO SOME POWDERS BURN MORE CLEANLY THAN OTHERS?

Yes and No, some do. You may find a powder that's clean in one cartridge may not be as "good" as in another. Loading density, amount used, ER - expansion ratio, your perception and other factors have an effect. Best way try them and see what you think.

DO SOME PROVIDE MORE CONSISTANT VELOCITY?

Yes & No it depends on factors like loading density, amount, temperature, case and cartridge loaded some times primer used and others. Reloaders use cronographs to measure extreme spred and Std. deviation in an effort to measure consistancy of loads.

WHATS THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN STICK & BALL POWDERS?

The Shape. Seriously, they often have similar burning rates when the correct ones are employed (Example IMR 4350 & H-414). The Spherical powders use a coating to control burn rate. In volume cases, Ball Powders some time require the use of a mag. primer (check your loading manuel). Both are nitro celluose, Ball type powders flow slightly better from measurers. Some believe they are slightly more dirty due to the coatings.

The NRA Guide to Reloading (#508-351 from Midway) has a good beginners section on powders. You can find others in various Reloading Manuals. If you're new to Reloading you might want to attend The NRA Basic Reloading Course for Metalic Cartridge and Shotshell. Check with the NRA Training Dept. for an instructor & course near you. It's a great way to get started. I've been teaching them in our area for years and its a good way to learn, network and get off on the right foot.

Good Shooting,

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
<PaulS>
posted
Crowrifle,
Ball powders (all Double Base powders) have nitrocelulose AND nitroglycerine base. WW231 has 12% nitro glycerine while most of the rifle propellants use only 10 or 8%.

Most powders have a flame retardent coating and the ball powders also have a presure sensitive retardant on them. Ball or stick powders control burn rates with size and shape of grain as well as the coatings.

PaulS