Find
Notify
Tools

Dimpled primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted

3 out of 22 cases that came back were dimpled like this. Federal 215M Sako 30-06 with 180 gr bullets with 60 gr RL19 at 2750 fps.

The primers were all seated below level of case head with no other obvious problems.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the middle case primer is way flatter than its right or left brother,i say its showing high pressure signs,even though theres no ejecter mark,all though these three cases (might) weigh more than the rest and showing pressure related to less case volume. looks like your 1/2 grain over max ,according to my Hodgdon #26 manual.
or you could have cooked these three in a hot chamber? i know darn well you know what your doing!!!! grin........... what say you MR.
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jjmp:
the middle case primer is way flatter than its right or left brother, i say its showing high pressure signs, ...i know darn well you know what your doing!!!!
I'd say you are seeing the exact same "Erratic" Pressure Indications that I've ALWAYS seen when I approached MAX with RL Rifle Powders. And there is one way to know for absolutely, dead-on-the-nose, for sure, positive:

How did the CHE & PRE compare on the middle Case to the others? thumb
-----

PS: If you say you did not measure CHE & PRE then we will all know jjmp got the last comment above - ALL WRONG!!! moon rotflmo BOOM

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:

Judging from the primer(s) alone I wouldn't consider pressures to be excessive, I'd say they were erratic. Notice the outer edge of the primers on all three still have their radius. Note too that #2 appears "normal" whereas #1 & #3 have failed to develop anywhere near normal chamber pressures. I would normally question the case itself when incidences such as this occur, but when using quality brass of one lot, one doesn't normally see the same signs a mixed lot might produce(variance in internal volume). The same can be said about neck tension and crimping where better quality brass generally produces a more consistent result. This is a textbook example of where PRE would tell much.

That said, I do agree with the others in suspecting RL19. Whereas Hornady's 4th edition lists a heavier load than you're using, Nosler's 5th edition doesn't even recommend RL19 with the 180 grain bullet. So even tho RL19 is in the 4350 burning rate, I think I'd be looking for a more suitable fuel to reload with just so I could avoid headaches such as this. I would stear you to IMR's 4350 & 4831, H4831, or V-V N165, but not necessarily in that order.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judging by the pictures I would agree with everyones assessment .It looks like the beginning of excessive pressure or at the very least it gives visual warning sign.

Drop down 1 grain and see if it does it any more ?.

I don't use RL in my 06 so I'm of no help there .

Shoot Straight Know Your target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. As a clarification the middle case was normal and put into the picture to show the difference.

I have always found RL19 to be slower than book values. I did work up in several 30-06's to this load and none of them showed pressure the typical pressure signs or excessive velocity.

I would be surprised if this were an indication of pressure since the primers were still flush with the case head and had rounded edges. There was no brass flow in the extractor groove and the bolt was not hard to lift.

As far as PHE or CRE........oops, PRE or CHE I can not get consistant enough results to use it. Sorry HC, I got a .0001" micrometer just to try and haven't made any progress yet.

I'm thinking it was a few softer than usual primers or primers that did not have the internal structural components correctly installed.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woods:
As a clarification the middle case was normal and put into the picture to show the difference.
quote:

Based on that, I'd say increase your charges in increments of .3 grains and continue working up.

quote:
I have always found RL19 to be slower than book values. I did work up in several 30-06's to this load and none of them showed pressure the typical pressure signs or excessive velocity.
quote:

I personally don't like RL's 19 & 22 having found them to be so inconsistent, that at time, they could have substituted for one another.

quote:
I would be surprised if this were an indication of pressure since the primers were still flush with the case head and had rounded edges. There was no brass flow in the extractor groove and the bolt was not hard to lift.
quote:

I would suggest, again, that you continue your work up. Using .3 grain increments, there will be no doubt as to when you hit the top end -even if it is beyond book suggestions. I'm not suggesting you hot rod the -06, but take heart in the fact that it will easily tolerate the same pressures used in more modern cartridges such as the 270.

quote:
As far as PHE or CRE........oops, PRE or CHE I can not get consistant enough results to use it. Sorry HC, I got a .0001" micrometer just to try and haven't made any progress yet.
quote:

Keep practicing Smiler

quote:
I'm thinking it was a few softer than usual primers or primers that did not have the internal structural components correctly installed.

As for primers, I've seen exactly (1) in the last 30 years that didn't have an anvil. They are almost always reliable and seem to be immune from the quality control issues that rifle brass suffers from. As for degrees of hardness, currently Winchester is the only one I know of that is "soft", and at that, it still remains a valid indicator if all produce the same visual indications.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I don't know what it is about Bofors powders (or how I use them), but I have never been 100% pleased with any of them. Of course, I have only tried them, off and on, for about 48 years (according to my records...)

My experience(s) have been that in "medium" pressure loads they perform like gang-busters; good velocity, very even burning, excellent accuracy. HOWEVER, as I approach maximum loadings, their pressure curves have become VERY, VERY steep. The result is that a tiny bit more powder gave both erratic pressures and prodigious isolated leaps of pressure. In other words, they became unpredictable as Hell.

I too would recommend you try another powder...somthing along the lines of VV N150, a single-based stick powder.

While looking at the pictures of your primers, I didn't see what some others saw. I saw no primer clues of excess pressures. I DID see a primer in the middle case that looks very normal to me, and primers in each of the outer cases which appear ro me to be the result of sub-normal pressures.

If I was going to continue trying a Re-Loader powder, I would do five rounds of RL-15 and see how they appeared.

But then, for the '06, I'd probably go to something single-based from IMR, or Australia, or Finland.

Good luck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote