Find
Notify
Tools

Getting pressure info...............
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted
Does anyone have one of the programs that tells you the approximate pressure from the info feed in? If so could you be persuaded to run some numbers for me? There is no pressure data for a cartridge I am reloading for. Thought about buying one of the programs but this is probably the only time I would ever need it and it would be kinda of expensive just for one loading. Thanks for any help.

Steve E.....

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
?????? Seems to me we would need some numbers from you to run in the program .
Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Need to know what the cartridge is, the barrel length (if you are interested in muzzle velocity estimates), the bullet(s), bullet weight(s), powder(s), powder charge(s), and your cartridge overall length.

If it is an oddball cartridge (or a wildcat) I will need to know the case length, base diameter, shoulder diameter, neck length, length to start of shoulder, and shoulder angle. I will need this information along with that already mentioned.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Me too, I need the pressure generated in:
300WM, 180gr bullet
82gr. of VV N170
or 80gr. of VV N165

416Rem, 340gr. bullet
86.2 gr. of VV N150

Thanks,
art

Posts: 54 | Location: Ca, USA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Thanks AC, I waited to put the info down till I was sure someone had the program and would run the numbers for me. Here goes,

Cartridge-- 357x44 Bain & Davis

Barrel lenth-- 18"

Bullet and Weight--.357 diameter 180 Gr Hornady XTP HP

Powder(s)& Charges--18 Grs. of 2400 -- 18 & 19 Grs. of Win. 296

Cartridge OAL-- 1.590

Case Lngth--1.280

Base Dia--.457

Shoulder dia--.455

Neck Lngth--.15

Lngth to start of shoulder--.929

Shoulder angle--10*

Primer used-- Win LP

Hope this covers everything, thanks again AC for the help.

Steve E..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I don't have much collarborating data to support (meaning tweak the simulation model) so you are getting a best guess.

Anyway, I have "worked the problem" for W296 and this is what the equations say (again uncorrelated to any real data)

Case capacity ~ 44.5 grains of water (check that and make sure I modelled your case right)

Your bullet - Hornady 180 gr HP

Volume under seated bullet (COL 1.59") ~ 33.6 grains of water

18 grains of W296

Muzzle velocity from 18" barrel - 1517 +/- 30 fps

Peak chamber pressure - 46,600 psi to 52,200 psi

19 grains of W296

Muzzle velocity from 18" barrel - 1590 +/- 30 fps

Peak chamber pressure - 48,700 psi to 54,500 psi

Hope that helps.

Hodgdon lists 21 gr of H110 (very close to being identical to W296) for the 357 Maxi and the 180 bullet as MAXIMUM LOAD. The 357 Maxi has a case capacity of ~ 37 grains of water, so your case is larger. However, being bottlenecked it will produce higher pressures than the Maxi would. Trying to avoid getting real technical, but you may find that slightly slower powders than W296/2400 (like H4227 or even a tad slower) may provide the best internal ballistics.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
art,

I have no burn rate data on the Vit powders, sorry. I could only give you rough estimates of the pressures.

ASS_CLOWN

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Boy I thought you knew how to work your program, those figures are way off. Just kidding AC, thanks very much for going to the trouble to run the numbers for me. I should have did the water thing before, I used 2 different methods to get the grs. of water and came up with 23.6 and 24 grs of water to the base of the bullet as near as I can tell. They say that the max pressure for the Marlin 1894 is 40,000 psi. Any recommendation on max grains of powder for the 2 powders I gave you for the 180 gr. bullet to get 40 to 41,000 psi? Thanks again this has helped me from using too hot of a load. There weren't even any of the 'standard' pressure signs with any of the loads listed above. I owe you one.

Steve E.......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Quote:

Boy I thought you knew how to work your program, those figures are way off

Usually I do! Forgive me though, as I am very busy and I must have screwed up something (actually I am quite sure I screwed up something). This isn't an excuse, simply a statement of fact.

Quote:

There weren't even any of the 'standard' pressure signs with any of the loads listed above.

As I attempted to indicate in the previous post the analysis is based on a myriad of assumptions. The pressure may not be as high as it indicated. Do you have any chronograph data? If you can tell me what you have seen for muzzle velocities I can tweak (correct) a great many of the simulation assumptions. You'll need to give me sometime though as I will be out for the next several days; therefore, unable to work on it.

ASS_CLOWN

one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
Just kidding. I haven't been able to set up my Chrony yet. I should get back to my regular range next weekend (I hope)and can set up my Chrony there. Thanks a bunch for helping me. How much does one of those programs cost? I'll PM you when I have the velocity for the 180's.

And the total capacity of water in the case is 34.5 grs.

Steve E........

one of us
posted Hide Post
AC

Have you tried the "designer" function in that program I gave you, and if so how do you like it?

BTW, it has the 357/44 B&D cartridge drawing (at least after doing the online upgrades)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote