THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which press to keep - single or multi stage?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just in the process of buying some more shooting gear (as you do) and find that the job lot includes a nearly new multistage press.

Putting aside issues about Lee presses, because I've used one for years with no complaint, I'm trying to decide whether to bother replacing my single stage with this multi stage or whether simply to sell it on. I really don't need both. Or do I?

My loading is mostly rifle calibres but will now include pistol calibres .38/.357.

What's the verdict guys - who uses a multi stage in preference to the single stage.... and why?

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless money is the issue, keep them both. The single stage will still be useful for odd jobs (like bullet pulling, tossing together a few rounds for your buddies oddball rifle, primer sweging, etc) while the other press is loaded up with your regular use dies.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I had a lymann T-mag, and sold it after I'd traded for a Forrester co-ax. With the co-ax I can swap dies as quickly as I could turn the turret, and I have the finest single stage press made.

There are times where I'd like a full blown progressive, but I'd still use the single stage for most re-loading. Unless you're shooting 100's of rounds a week in the 38/357, a progressive won't earn its keep.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Pete
It isn't costing you anything to keep. Why not try it for a while, and see if you like it?

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

Maybe I'll give the multistage a whizz. I can't leave it set up as I'm reloading in .22/250, .243, .308 and .303 Brit as well as now taking on 38/357 pc - maybe there'll be an advantage for the latter?

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Handgun and "plinking" or "hunting" ammo in a multi-stage when you need the volume. For precision loading you want a single stage. I have two single stage presses that I set up to run in a production line . . . It's not multi stage, but it's multi-tasking.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I had a Dillon XL650. Great press but couldn't afford to feed the thing! LOL. It is a excellent press I just didn't need that kind of volumne. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<reload>
posted
If you are going to reload for rifles keep the single stage press, you can't get the same accuracy with a multi-stage press. Good Luck