THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Propellant Profiles...can't judge this book by its cover

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Propellant Profiles...can't judge this book by its cover
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
File this in the "for what it's worth" department.

If Santa didn't bring you Wolfe Publishing's Fifth [newest, revised and updated October 2009]Edition and you're thinking about plunking down 40 bucks for this gun powder compilation of reviews; think again.

Even though the cover shows cans of Dupont 'MX', Nobel's 'Empire' and Scot Powder's 'Royal Scot', none are included inside. Don't ask me why.

But the biggest, and absolutely worst omission is Hodgdon's VARGET!!! I use it for a few different calibers and thought it was quite popular among other handloaders. I guess I was wrong.

But if you've got a hot nut for H-4831/4831SC, there's 5 pages to get you off.

I shot an email to Wolfe Publishing asking if my copy was somehow mis-printed. That was weeks ago and I have yet to receive a reply.

So caveat emptor...let the buyer beware.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Propellant Profiles" is simply a collection of reproduced articles the magazine has run in it's regular bi-monthly "Propellant Profiles" feature. If they have never done a "PP" on a powder, then it won't be in the book. It is not intended to be a comprehensive guide to all available propellants.

Wanna sell your copy and recoup part of your expenditure?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
If they have never done a "PP" on a powder, then it won't be in the book. It is not intended to be a comprehensive guide to all available propellants.

Wanna sell your copy and recoup part of your expenditure?

I think Hodgdon brought out VARGET in 1996ish. If they haven't done a PP on it by now...well, what are they waiting for.

If it's not intended as a 'comprehensive guide', what is it?

I'm not that hard up for the money. And I wouldn't insult the friendship of the person who gave it to me by selling it.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I see. The person who gave it to you would be insulted if you sold it, but apparently is not insulted by your posting publicly of their gift what a worthless, overpriced book it is which you would not recommend to others. Makes sense, I guess Confused

quote:
If they haven't done a PP on it by now...well, what are they waiting for.

Count up six PP articles per year, then calculate how many years it would take to do an article on every available powder, plus dozens of obsolete powders. Take a number and get in line.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
...what a worthless, overpriced book it is which you would not recommend to others.

To paraphrase Steve Erkel, "Did I say that?"