Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy Issues
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,
My 25-06 Ackley has just decided to quit shooting worth a damn. I cannot figure out why. Action screws are tight, but not too tight. The barrel is still free floated. The scorpe mounts are tight. Same reloads. I am wondering what ya'll thoughts are.

The gun is a Ruger Mk2 M77 in 25-06 Ackley. The same gun shot great a month ago. I am shooting hot loads. Could I have shot out the barrel? It's probably had 1200 rounds of pretty hot stuff through it. She used to shoot just awesome. The scope is a Springfield Armorey 6.5-20x58mm. Could the scope be messed up?

Any advice would help. Thanks.

Jason

Posts: 98 | Location: Plano, TX | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jason-
If you were pumping "hot" (not sure what your definition of that is) loads through the barrel at a rather fast rate, you could have erosion in the throat area. Often seating a bullet out a bit farther can extend the life of the barrel by restoring accuracy somewhat, but it depends on the nature and extent of the erosion.

ALso, put a different scope on the rifle and shoot a few groups to rule out the possibility of the optics going South.

Also, what is the actual difference in group size? I really need a little more info before providing a more detailed attempt at a solution.

[ 12-04-2002, 01:29: Message edited by: Bobby Tomek ]

Posts: 9402 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good scrubbing with bore paste may help, but the 25-06 Ackley is reportedly pretty rough on barrels. You may have discovered why Mr. Ackley did not generally recommend "improving" already overbore cartridges.

Posts: 283 | Location: Florida | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
Thanks so far. By hot I mean a lot of RL 22 (60-62 grains), H870 (70 grains), IMR 4350 at 54.2 grains and powders of that nature. I had the reamer built to seat bullets at 3.330. I have been working on finding a good depth if indeed the throat is eroded. Anything above 3.350 seems to do nothing in the way of imporvement. 3,330 and 3.340 seem to run neck in neck for the best accuracy right now. I have tried different bullets too. Gone up in bullet weight as well.

The accuracy went kind of suddenly. Got worse one trip out and then bad. I cleaned the barrel which I never do. It has not shot that well sense, but seems to be getting a little better after another 100 rounds went through it. Could the rounds be too fast for the factory barrel? The bullets are 100 GS Custom and the 115 Nosler Ballistic Tip. The GS shot better the this a.m. but shot anout 1.5 inches low at 100 with the H870 at 70 grains. The 115 loads with the RL22 shot, the very first shot of the day at 1.5 high and then jumped up to 2.5 (which is where it should be) for two shots. The fist shot on a cold barrel is always lower than the 2nd or 3rd. At least for the last several trips out.

I leave for a hunting trip tommorrow at 5 am and have no more time to expiriment. The H870 load with the GS 100 could work if I just clicked her on up. If I moved it up 8 clicks in theory she should shoot an inch high or so. But I will not get to try it out to see if it really moves the point of impact to that point. My next shot will most likely be at a deer. Would you do this or just know that the round shoot low by 1.5 inches and just compensate. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers,
Jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
One more note to add. The groups went from 1 hole at 100 for 3 shots to pretty random. A "good" group now is 1.0" and the 20 minutes later I will fire again and it will be 2.5 inches with the same load and all. Anyhow, more feedback?

Thanks
JAson

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I had a rifle act up like yours once. I couldn`t figure out what went wrong and cussed 2 / 2.5" groups for a month or more then found a hair line crack ~ .5" long in the tang area of the stock. The crack didn`t show until I pulled the action and started to put it back together.
I`m doubtful you have this problem (I`d bet on the scope)but it might be something to look for anyway.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your hunt, Jason. I hate to hunt with a rifle I don't have faith in. It really psychs me out and I think half of shooting is attitude anyway.

All in all, it sounds like your rifle is hanging onto what I would call "hunting accuracy,' assuming you don't try some fancy shots.

What sort of scope do you have on the rifle? (Make, model & power?)

PS - I had a class mate years ago that shot out his .257 Weatherby in 800 rounds. Accuracy went into the toilet.

[ 12-04-2002, 04:00: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jrswick@yahoo.com:
...I cleaned the barrel which I never do...

Hey Jason, The above sentence might just explain the problem you are experiencing.

Just curious where you got the idea that you do not need to clean a rifle bore after it is shot?

Best of luck on the hunt.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
It won't take long to fry the throat in any rifle fed a steady diet of hot loads. The 25-06 is and always has been noted for being hard on barrels. I would say it is time for you to rebarrel, and you might want to find a milder accurate load your rifle likes on the next barrel you have installed. The gunsmith should be able to tell you at a glance with a bore scope if the bore is fried.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Mmmm..., 1200 shots, not cleaned regularly ? Ever heard of copper fouling ? Before suspecting anything else, I'd try a good copper solvent and/or bore paste.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have some serious copper fouling. Clean the barrel very well using something like Barnes CR-10 and try again. You may be surprised at how the accuracy "comes back"

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could I have shot out the barrel? It's probably had 1200 rounds of pretty hot stuff through it.

I had the same problem with a 300 Winchester Mag that has since gone to market. I keep a journal of every shot I fire. When this particular rifle started acting up, I asked a gunsmith of some reput. The first question he asked, was the barrel clean, the second, how many rounds through the barrel. I counted close to 5000 rounds. He said the accurate life span was around 2500 then a deterioration occurs. The lifespan is less with hot loads. (I always used mile loads.) I did a ton of research and reading and confirmed what he told me. With your hot loads, I'm betting the throat is worn.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<bullseye>
posted
If the temperature had gotten warmer the last few trips since your groups got bigger you may be building too much pressure. Have you cleaned the bore properly? One piece cleaning rod,brush the bore, sweets cleaning solvent on patch with pointed jag, let stand 10 minutes and run clean patch thru it. Repeat this until the clean patch has little or no blue color on it. Finish off with a patch with Remington gun oil. Thats my method. Also you checked the mounts, but didn't mention the bases.I would remove the scope, check the bases and put on another scope to rule out a few possible problems. This should fix the problem, as I don't think the throat is toasted. More often than not accuracy gradually decreases when the throat is shot out. I seriously believe your bore is too fouled or quite honestly, the Springfield Armory scope is the problem. I'm not at all knocking your equipment, but my experience has been the thought of the Springfield Armory scope is much greater than the quality. I had the same problem with my rifle and the scope didn't like any caliber bigger than a 6mm. Just trying to help.

posted Hide Post
If your accuracy disappeared 'suddenly', something is loose or damaged.

Check the screws that hold the bases to the action, check the action screws, too.

Look at the crown.

Swap the scope for one you KNOW works.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote