Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Measure's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted
Which one do you like, and how accurate are they?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been useing a Lyman 55 for over 30 years now. It's really good to + - 1/10 Gr. Last month I bought a new Lyman DPS 1200 Electronic Powder Dispenser, and it's really nice. It's slower than useing a measure, but your weighing every charge. Plus it's fun to play with. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
The only one I've got is an RCBS Uniflow. It gets the job done. Accuracy of any powder measure will depend on the powder being used. Coarser ones will always have more inconsistency when measured volumetrically. I have problems with coarse grained tubular powders and large flake shotgun powders bridging in the dump tube, even with the larger one. Some of the low density flake powders are hard to get to settle consistently in the cavity of the rotor, too. And at the very smallest charge levels for little pistol cartridges, the rotor will squish flakes in the corner of the space between the plunger in the cavity and the shell, molding plastic double base powders into a hard clump. For these kinds of powders, a simple dipper like Lee's really works better.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
My Hornady Deluxe powder measure is +or- 1/10 of a grain, tested just last week with Benchmark powder, of course larger kernal powders will more than likely be 'off' a bit more, that's to be expected with any of them, even a Harrel, which is no more accurate than a Hornady, Lyman, etc. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a few, but I like the RCBS uniflow.
That Power Pistol powder is powerful stuff, it ate the surface of uniflow hopper.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Harrell Brothers make a variety of stuff. Their powder measures are undoubtedly the finest I've ever used. EXPENSIVE but well worth the price.

I've used a lot of others. Most are ok. The only ones I'd stay away from are one with a flat bottom to the powder reservoir. In those the charge thrown varies with the amount of powder in the measure. Hornady use to offer a little one of this design.

Posts: 116 | Location: flagstaff, arizona | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've quite a variety of powder measures, both mechanical and electronic,

All work as well as the operator.

I use a Jones for benchrest competition, not because it is any more accurate than the others, but because it is the easiest to repeat settings with, without having to resort to a scale to check the settings. It is also click adjustable to increase or decrease charges by known fractions of a grain, also without having to use a scale to check what you have done. A Harrel is just as easy in that respect, but I have been using my Jones since long before the Harrell was even a gleam in the inventor's eye.

For home loading, I have done quite a bit of measure testing, and find that the cheapo Lee "Perfect" at about $16 is as accurate as any other. Feels and looks cheaper, but is as accurate, and with large grained powders it is more accurate than a lot of others. Undoubtedly will not last as long, though, as is built mainly of plastic and sheet metal.

For most purposes, I use a "Dedicated Systems" brand electronic powder dispenser system. I have it set to weigh to 1/20th grain, though not to dispense to that accuracy. Nice thing about it is that it "trains" itself for each powder I use in it. It stores that "training"in a memory. It also stores up to 20 different loads, and it warns you if it happens to occasionally dispense a charge which is more than 1/10th grain more or less than that requested from it.

I use it because it is quick. Does its own trickling up to weight and does both the charge throwing and trickling while I am putting the previous freshly charged case in the loading block and picking up another empty case.

Anyway, the very best measure is whichever one you have and take the time to learn the necessary technique to use accurately.

Best wishes,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I also have the Lyman 55. Works very well.
I recently aquired the Pact electric scale/ trickler combo.
Very fast and, if you follow the directions (warm up, ect.) very, very accurate. I use it almost exclusively now, but i'll always keep my 55. You can never have enough loading tools

JFR

posted Hide Post
I like the old Belding and Mull.Once you realize you need to operate it consistently,it provides good accuracy.With flake,ball,or short stick powders it will stay well within =/- 1 tenth,with charges below 40 grains.
With 50-70 grains of the big stick powders like 4350 and 4831,it will stay within 2 tenths.

Posts: 17 | Location: Laurel Mtns. | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a RCBS uniflow and have been very happy with it. It usually stays to within 1/10 but can get off 2/10 on occasion.

Posts: 66 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 08 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used the RCBS Uniflow for a long time. Recently came across a cherry used Redding BR. Haven't used the RCBS since!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's.