THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

difference between 7.62 nato and 308 win?????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I have heard there is a difference between 308 win and 7.62 nato. The reason i am asking is I have an old model 88 in 308 I may blow the dust off and start playing with it. Is it safe to shoot milsurp ammo in these?? and if so are there any special precautions I need to take

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
a commerical rifle, in 7.62 IS 308, however, the cetme is NOT 308...

AS i recall, the 7.62x51 is actually a lightly lower pressure case , spec to spec, and the cetme will shake apart with factory 308.

i could be wrong, but I doubt it in this case...

jeffe

Posts: 38488 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Though there are minor case dimension difference that translate to less capacity and chamber specs are slightly larger for the 7.62, the most important difference is just as jeffeosso said: 7.62 is loaded to lower pressure than factory .308.

Posts: 285 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.308 is 7.82 if i'm not wrong.

Posts: 64 | Location: Norway | Registered: 07 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
Ruff-Hewn is right. The standard case dimensions for a 308 Win are very slightly different than the 7.62 NATO. If you have a standard 308 Win chamber (no tight neck or small base), then you can bang away using suplus rounds with confidence.

I've shot 308 in competition for years and I used to know the detailed differences - lost in the mist. Bottom line is it never made any significant difference.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

.308 is 7.82 if i'm not wrong.

Yep, but 7.62 / 25.4 = .300

I believe it refers to the bore diameter and not the groove diameter.

1 inch = 25.4 mm

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are some gunsmiths out there (and I have met one) who will throw a hissy fit over what they percieve as a "dangerous" difference between the 308 Winchester and 7.62 Nato round.

There are slight nominal differences between the two on paper.

I have found no practical differences between the two in real life applications.

I have fired thousands of rounds in military type rifles and Remington, Winchester, and Mauser bolt actions (and the Model 100 semi-auto), and I mix and match handloads, factory and military surplus ammo.

I have found some of the military loads for the M-60 to be the hottest loads around, much more than factory loads.

Here is something I would add to the "debate" about the differences between the two: If there really was a significant issue over interchangability, by now some gun magazine somewhere would have published a warning about mixing ammo between military and civilian chamberings. And lawyers would have been all over this as a liability issue.

The silence is deafening.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Garrett,
look up 7.62x51 cetme... and the REAL atricles that states it is not up to 308 loads...

ackley mentions the diffrence in HL V 1 or 2...

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
And what is the difference between 5.65x45 mm and .223 Remington? I had a Savage 24V that would shoot .223 Remington but not 5.65x45 mm( Now it's a 6x45mm - much better stuff ).

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
jeffe,

But the question was about the 7.62 NATO, not the CETME.

Apples and oranges.

Don

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Quote:

And what is the difference between 5.65x45 mm and .223 Remington? I had a Savage 24V that would shoot .223 Remington but not 5.65x45 mm( Now it's a 6x45mm - much better stuff ).

Tom
Your rifle PROBABLY had a problem with the nato spec laod of the 223, as the 223 did not SUFFER the same developemental issues as the 308... they learned from it

the T-65, the war department name for the experimental cart, is ExACTLY the same size as the 308, as winchester attempted to get a civi gun on the market before the govt issued their gun...

the PROBLEM is the 7.62x51 is slightly different and a different pressure load than the commerical 308, as teh govt further developed the t-65 INTO the 7.62x51... and winchester kept the original 308.

everyone LEARNED from this, and did not attempt to do so again.

the 223 was not commericalized until after the 5.56 was accepted... and that round TOO suffered a change, which I expect your savage felt.. when nato adopted the round, they changed the bullet weight UP and longer... which lead to the original guns potentially having too short a neck and nearly 100% havign too slow a twist for accuracy.

Don,
actually, I answered the mirror image of his question by presenting this.. he asked if the 7.62 was safe in his 88... and I explained WHY it was safe, that his question was rational and that there was a problem with the reverse. The CETME is the opposite example of the 88.... it's known to batter if shot, alot, with 308 vs 7.62x51

anyway, i gotta get

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
The difference lies more in the chamber than in the cartridge itself. They will be safe to shoot from your rifle, but I wouldn't expect any decent groups.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/shooters/7_62vs308.htm

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
303british.com

Posts: 172 | Location: New Lowell, Ontario | Registered: 14 July 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I have heard there is a difference between 308 win and 7.62 nato. The reason i am asking is I have an old model 88 in 308 I may blow the dust off and start playing with it. Is it safe to shoot milsurp ammo in these?? and if so are there any special precautions I need to take

IF this is an old M88 Winchester lever-action rifle, you certainly CAN shoot 7.62 NATO ball ammo in it with absolutely NO PROBLEMS!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 308 in 7.62x51mm rilfes and 7.62x51mm in .308 rilfes, and it seems to go without incedent.

But when I shoot 45 Colt in a .410 with double the 454 Casull powder charge the case splits next to the case head because of the chamber is too big for the case.

And when I shoot 30-30 in a 303 Savage, I have pull back the lever hard the set shoulder back with the chamber. The base of the case is sloppy in the chamber.

So relative to those mis fits, the 7.62 and .308 are fairly interchangable.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is my understanding that the chamber dimensions of 7.62 NATO are very slightly smaller than .308 Winchester. In other words, while 7.62 will chamber in a .308 Win, a .308 Win may not chamber properly in your military 7.62 firearm. Another difference is case thickness. The 7.62 is significantly thicker than commercial .308 brass (I suppose in anticipation of rough handling circumstances), and therefore difficult to resize. If you're reloading surplus 7.62, you'll want to back off your powder charge at least 10% to avoid dangerously high pressures. Another thing to keep in mind, the 7.62 is designed to operate a gas operating system, so it has to be friendly for the timing of the gas system and not stressful for the parts, as in bent operating rods, case rims torn off the cases, or broken extractors. I hope this helps.

Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's some links to try:

http://www.thegunzone.com/30cal.html

http://www3.sympatico.ca/shooters/7_62vs308.htm

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=414

http://home.sprynet.com/~frfrog2/miscelld.htm#same%20round

I don't know the accuracy of the information given in these links. I simply did some searching on the web on this topic.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote