THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Need to Improve shooting TECHNIQUE..LINKS PLEASE!!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need to Improve shooting TECHNIQUE..LINKS PLEASE!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got half awake @ 3:00am this morning and suddenly realized what is probably the cause of my poor groups..The front pedestal rest w/ sandbag (Caldwell) I use has a stop on the front so one can go back to the same place on the bag each time. With the rounded forend of the 270 I am probably not achieving the same exact amt of pressure and same exact contact on the front part of the gun each and every time with this projected forend stop and this stop restricts the barrel jump or whip differently on each shot, therefore horizontal and also some vertical spreading of group. Can someone direct me to a site or article about benchrest positions or technique.. Comments and advice needed as I shoot alone and isolated from good info.. thanks much , Doc Stone

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you feel the forend stop is causing you heartache, then remove it. It bothers me with some rifles because of the forend shape, but not all. When you find a spot in the cradle that you feel represents good balance, and you're satisfied with the results then simply place a piece of tape, something bright, on the side of the forend
where you want it in relation to the rest. It will serve as a referrence point for where you want the rifle to be in the rest. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THANX-- GREAT IDEA,
I'LL TRY IT NOW.. DOC STONE