New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 / Starline?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Getting ready to start loading 45-70 w/ new Starline brass, for my Ruger #1.

Intend to load Hornady 300 JHP, Speer 350 JSP, & Cast Performance 405 FNGC - all over IMR 3031 to start.

I have heard several times that when using Starline, it is recommended to subtract 2.0 grains of powder for any given load level of performance. Something to do w/ their brass being heavier.....

Any truth to this? Not real critical on the bottom end I suppose, but might make a difference up top. Input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If any information you receive is undocumented or unproven, disregard it. Start with documented low end loads and work up carefully 'till you find the accuracy "sweet spot".
I'm notorious for backing people in the corner for their source of information, to the point of being irritating as all get-out. However, when I press the point, most of the time the information is determined to be unfounded.

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I agree. When you change brass from that used in a manual or even change lots, you need to work up your loads.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gcf: Starline brass is heavier than Winchester, so when working up to loads from published data specifying Winchester brass, your top-end load will probably be about 2 grains lower than the max in the published load. I found this out after I had a couple of case-head separations after reloading my 45-70 Starline brass 6-8 times with top-end loads. Nothing wrong with the brass; it's just that I had not been subtracting the two grains, and the pressures I was running were a bit high.

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBrass:
gcf: Starline brass is heavier than Winchester, so when working up to loads from published data specifying Winchester brass, your top-end load will probably be about 2 grains lower than the max in the published load. I found this out after I had a couple of case-head separations after reloading my 45-70 Starline brass 6-8 times with top-end loads. Nothing wrong with the brass; it's just that I had not been subtracting the two grains, and the pressures I was running were a bit high.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know of any other instances of this happening to others?

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote