New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers and Saami specs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Since I can't get anymore of my favorite .358 win powder(AA2015br) I'v stared expermenting with WW748 The Barnes manual gives some pretty hairy loads for that powder. I was wondering if I might need a magnum type primer for good ignition or will a standar LRP work ? The loads come halfway up into the case neck and are compressed. Next I will son obtain a rifle in which the owner said the bbl was set to Saam specs. and factory rounds close a little hard when working the bolt. So how does a guy fix this I like a shell to go in and out like a snake in wet grass.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You do not need "magnum" primers for this (or most any other) load. As several researchers have found, some "standard" primers in certain brands may be "hotter" than some "magnum" primers in other brands. The biggest difference in "standard" and "magnum" primers is the label and the price.

At any rate, you are unlikely to find any notable difference in the performance of the load you reference, so go ahead and use the "standard" primers you have been using previously.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Re: "Next I will son obtain a rifle in which the owner said the bbl was set to Saam specs." Better ask the guy what this means to him and to you. Hopefully all rifles in use are within SAAMI specs if they utilize cartridges spec'd by SAAMI. All it could possibly mean is that the headspace and the chamber conforms, which would mean it would acceptably chamber factory cartridges. It certainly doesn't mean it's "tight". Most factory guns are supposed to be chambered to SAAMI specs and we know how sloppy some are. The statement truly means nothing.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .358:
Since I can't get anymore of my favorite .358 win powder(AA2015br) I'v stared expermenting with WW748 The Barnes manual gives some pretty hairy loads for that powder. I was wondering if I might need a magnum type primer for good ignition or will a standar LRP work ? The loads come halfway up into the case neck and are compressed. Next I will son obtain a rifle in which the owner said the bbl was set to Saam specs. and factory rounds close a little hard when working the bolt. So how does a guy fix this I like a shell to go in and out like a snake in wet grass.

I haven't had any experience with the 748 in such dense loadings and can only advise to try a couple with the standard primers before loading up many and if you are going to use them hunting in cold weather then try them after being in the freezer a few hours......as to the case problem....a chamber cast to find the actual chamber size is the only SURE way to find the proper dies.....a different die brand with a smaller base or shoulder might fix the feeding feel and it might take a special order die ...many die companies will make a die for you if you send them three fired EMPTY UNLOADED cases and this works well for most applications.....but only a chamber cast will tell you what you actually have and make sure that there isn't some other problem that might cause a dangerous condition .......before you spend money on other dies and equipment....that's a great cartridge for a lot of uses and HTH..good luck and good shooting/loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The only primer I have ever used in the .358 Winchester is the Winchester WLR primer.

Regardless of bullet weight, or powder type, this primer has never failed me.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote