New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Problems S&B Brass
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a little 25-35/16 gauge O/U. I bought a couple boxes of 6.3x52 ammo because it had a correct headstamp for the gun. After shooting a box I sat down to my bench and prepared the cases. Darn primers won't fit. Small rifle are too small. LR's won't go in. I reamed the pockets with my Lyman tool for removing crimps. They still won't go in.
I had a small flash hole problem with S&B cases for my 7x65R. I had to drill out the flash holes so the RCBS decapping pin would go through. That was an easy fix. Anybody have any idea how to open the primer hole to .215, before I toss them?
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Two easy ways to open the pockets.
RCBS Primer Pocket Swage
Dillon Primer Pocket Swage
Both are a little pricey but will last you a lifetime.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 447 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why spend $30 in tools to salvage $20 worth of brass? Why not just resize cheap new .30-30 brass? I've done that for over 30 years to feed my .25-35s. Cases lasted longer than the factory .25-35 cases I had, which were quite thin.

Of course, the head stamp will not match the rifle...

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I thought those tools might work, but wasn't sure. I have a pretty big pile of old Lake City match brass from Camp Perry that helps as an excuse to but one.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had similar problems with .303Br cases in S&B. I have also used the Lyman Reamer and RCBS Pocket Swager. Still could not fit primers without crushing them. I then did some research on primer diameter and found some Remingtons which had a slightly smaller diameter than the other brands. Only one primer was crushed. I used my RCBS Auto Prime. The Lee Ergo Prime was also crushing the primers.