New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-8mmRemMag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone out there chambered this cartridge in a hunting rifle and actually hunted with it? What kind of velocity have you seen with 200gr bullets? The loads on the AR Data Page are impressive, but the gun is a Heavy Benchrest Rifle with a 29.5 in barrel.

Saludos...Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's called a 300 Jarret.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the 300 Jarret is a modified 30-8mm. You can expect velocities on par or slightly above the 300 Weatherby.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wouldn't it be nearly identical to a 300 weatherbee? I thought both were just necked down 375 H&H cases but the weatherbee with the double radius shoulder.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was looking for something on a full length Mag Case that would have 300 Weatherby Potential without the Freebore. I can have a 30 caliber barrel chambered for 300 Weatherby with a short Thoat, but eventially sometime during the life of that rifle a factory load will be fired, Murphy's Law, and that could be hazardous to someone's health.

I will probably have the rifle in question chambered for 300 Win Mag, it is by far the most practical.

Thanks for the replys if anyone has anything to add please do.

Saludos...Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30-8mm mag is also known as the 300 Peterson.
The 300 Jarrett is the 8mm necked down and improved! Muzzle blast from these cartridges is excessive. A friend had a gun built by a smith in N. Carolina (Steve Branham). He has/had a Jarrett and thought alot of the round but too much power for hunting around his area. I think the Peterson would make a great elk/moose round with the 200gr. Grand Slam! It is a simple, one step operation to form brass where as the Jarrett would have to be fireformed. I think it would need a 26" tube minimum as well.
I have had thoughts about this round and if you do the project please post the results and load details.
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,
I have a Rem 700 chambered in this round.
Mine is a 700 with 27" Douglas barrel.
I am shooting Nosler 200 Gr Partions at 3206 fps.
The accuracy is great,and the rifle is a pleasure to shoot.
Kenny Jarret seems to be making rifles with this round,but he calls it the 300 Jarrett,it has an improved neck.
Mine has taken 7 Elk here in Oregon.
As to some saying the round is pretty stout to shoot,my 14 yr old son,and my wife can shoot this
one with no ill effects.
Just went past 800 rounds out of the barrel,with
minimal chamber wear.
It is also an excellent 1000 yd gun.
I was looking over my load info and found 7828
to work the best for me.
My.02.
Z

quote:
Originally posted by Gringo:
Has anyone out there chambered this cartridge in a hunting rifle and actually hunted with it? What kind of velocity have you seen with 200gr bullets? The loads on the AR Data Page are impressive, but the gun is a Heavy Benchrest Rifle with a 29.5 in barrel.

Saludos...Frank

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Z,

I am thinking about a Hart or Shilen Barrel with a Rem Mag Taper. Do you remember off hand what contour you used and how much does your rifle wieght. I would be happy with 3000 fps in a 25 in barrel.

Gracias....Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
This rifle was built in 1994 so my memory is a little foggy,but i believe it is a #5 contour.
Is definitely no sporter,had to open the stock up quite a bit.
Rifle,Leupold 6.5X20,Harris Varmint Bi-Pod,and sling puts it right at 11.5 lbs.
Yeah i know it seems alittle heavy,but it is a multi-purpose rifle and i had to make some compromises.
It carries no problem,and the wt is really no issue to me as a lot of shooting is prone [Smile]
Yes i do pack it in the woods.
I see no reason why you could not get 3000 with a 25" tube, i believe that is the length Jarret is using on his rifles.
I am going to start load development with the Sierra 200 Gr. real soon,hope to find a load that shoots as good as the Nosler does.
Good luck,
Z

quote:
Originally posted by Gringo:
Z,

I am thinking about a Hart or Shilen Barrel with a Rem Mag Taper. Do you remember off hand what contour you used and how much does your rifle wieght. I would be happy with 3000 fps in a 25 in barrel.

Gracias....Frank

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plenty of gunsmiths have custom 300 Wby reamers without the freebore. These have the same velocity with better potential accuracy since you can touch the riflings. This way you don't have to buy custom dies and fireformed brass.

Posts: 198 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Z, Thanks, I would not want to build a 7lber.

Micmac, Good Point; also I have Win Mag and Weatherby dies and brass, but read above, about my concerns with a short throated Weatherby. I have two brothers that borrow my guns. I have had english pointers that paid better attention to what I was saying. And anyone who has every had pointers know they do not listen very damn well.

I starting to get the itch, hopefully it will wear off.

Thanks Guys....Frank