New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital scales - recommendations guys?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Happy though I am with my beam scales for checking volumetriclly thrown powder charges, I need a bigger weight capacity in order to start sorting brass cases by weight and so am thinking about investing in something digital.

What do you guys recommend - and more importantly NOT recommend?

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

I have a PACT BBK scale that I use for sorting brass. It is fine for this purpose, as long as you don't use a cordless phone next to it. I wouldn't use it for powder measuring, especially if you trickle up to a desired charge weight.

They are at the lower end of the price spectrum at approx. $100.

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I've collected quite a few scales over the years. Still have about 7 or 8. I'm doing all my reloading now on a Pact scale with a trickler system. Also have a scientific that weighs to the 100's. The Pact more often than not, is dead on with the scientific down to the 100's. Because so many have doubts of the digitals I double checked each charge for months with those two scales. I never found any variance. Pact and RCBS are the same. If I had to buy, or replace, today, it would be the Pact with the infra red port.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Just a guess on my part...but I bet if you took the covers off of all of them, the electronics would all be the same.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My instinct is to agree with ricciardelli here that under the lid, everything's equal - near as makes no difference.

I'd started by looking at the "My weigh" scales which are often advertised at EBay but as I can't get any of those grand seller fellers to ship to me in England I'll just have to go with a mainstream supplier like Sinclair. [Wink]

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got the RCBS model and so far I really like it.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think the Pact is too good for weighing charges. I don't find it consistent enough. But don't think that mechanical scales are so great either. I used to think that the scale the beam is aimed at was in 1/10gr increments so you could read it directly to 1/10gr. One thing the Pact did teach me was that the little scale on those means a lot more than 1/10gr. I did learn that my Pact was more repeatable than the mechanical scales - and I did try several.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete:
Happy though I am with my beam scales for checking volumetriclly thrown powder charges, I need a bigger weight capacity in order to start sorting brass cases by weight and so am thinking about investing in something digital.

What do you guys recommend - and more importantly NOT recommend?

I have one of the PACT made RCBS marketed scales with the powder dispencer combo that works well for my use...I got the set on special and use it for sorting weight of rimfire rounds and cases for precision reloads....it works well...give it a minitue to adjust after turning it on and keep the drafts out as it is so sensitive that fans and open doors/drafts mess up the readings.....I have a RCBS 5-10 as backup and after a year and 1/2 the electronic scale is working well....NOTE order at least one extra pan when you order as it makes sorting type chores go faster and I find that I'm less likely to stress the scale putting a whole pan with contents on the scale vs just a case on the scale...and it keeps the scale plate clean...also get a cover or make one as I did from a square type gallon liquid container....good luck and good shooting/loading!!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, been using a Pact made RCBS since 1996 with no problems at all, AND being RCBS if there was a problem I have no doubt that they would do there best to fix it for me.
Wes

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BigFoot 15-4E>
posted
I will second the vote for the PACT scale. Prior to buying mine I called PACT and inquired as to their warrinty. I was told it came with a LIFRTIME warrinty, and that the only part on it that can break is rather cheap to fix. BTW, my PACT has proven to be consistantly accurate to with in + or - .2 tenths of a grain. As checked with both a set of Lyman weights for cheking scale accuricy, and my RCBS 505 ballance beam scale. I own both the scale and the powder dispencer, and cant be more pleased.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Pete,
We use a company called cole-palmer that specialize in lab equipment. I noticed that they do some very accurate scales at reasonable prices. worth a look! they don't have a web site.
so here's the address:

cole-palmer
unit 3
river brent business park
trumpers way
hanwell
london
tel 0208 8574 7556

good luck

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
You might try looking up universities on the web then doing a university site search using "surplus equipment" as keywords. This way you can get lab grade scales for dirt cheap.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the Pact 1500 grain scale direct from Pact. Found it was quite abit cheaper than buying elsewhere. $129 delivered. This might of been a special last christmas. Works great for weighing out larger shot charges for my 10 gauge. Otherwise I was weighing 1/2 on my 505 scale and adding them together to set the adj. charge bar on the MEC press. Alot of messing around.

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pete I have beed using a Denver Instrument Accurate Load IV for several years. It is the best piece of loading equipment you will ever buy. No problems, accurate and fast. I leave it plugged in all the time. More expensive than some others but worth every penny.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote