Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 100 gr BTs?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
I just got a 25-06 and was thinking of using the 100 gr ballistic tip for double duty. What I mean is use it for coyotes, antelope and deer. Anyone have any experience with these on deer. Also what are your favorite loads? Velocity? Accuracy? Thanx

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting the 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in my .25-06 almost since the bullet came out. It works great on the targets you've suggested. In fact, on antelope, I can't think of anything better.
Try 50-51gr of 4350, or 53-54gr of 4831SC behind that 100grainer. These loads have worked well in both my rifle and my hunting buddy's gun. His is a Parker-Hale and mine is a lefthand Rem 700.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
POP:

I run a 100 grain ballistic tip out of a 260 Remington at 3350 fps in a 22 inch barrel...So it should be awfully close to what you are looking at...

Deer at 300 yds have dropped at the shot.... instant kill, and recoil was light enough I watched the deer drop in the scope never loosing site picture....

Only problem, even at 300 yds with that MV, I lost about 15lbs of blood shot meat on the far shoulder... which is a lot for a 75 lb deer....

Just sharing the experience is all.... this has happened twice.... a Hornady 100 grain SP might be a better choice for deer....

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 100 grain ballistic tips out of my 25-06 on deer and out of my 257 Roberts on antelope and coyotes. I switched to 120 grain solid base Nosler's in the 06 thinking it would lead to less meat destruction but it was not the case. I think it is just the nature of the situation that if you hit an animal of that size with a projectile designed to open up there is going to be some destruction. Partitions would probably hold together better if they were to hit anything substancial.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a thought on load development. My 25-06 is touchy about max loads. Make sure you work up from below if you are thinking about stuffing 54 grains of powder behind a 100 grain bullet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 25,06 is still under construction, but I have shot a .257 Roberts quite abit, I think your bullet choice is good. In my Roberts,I use the B-tip for coyotes and the 100 grain barnes tripple shock for deer. (have not shot a deer with it yet but I bet it would be a great choice !) Another bullet you guys might want to think about is the Brand new Nosler accubond. It is a 110 grain. A little tougher than the B-Tip. I bet that bullet in a 25,06 will be very effective. I am chomping at the bit to try them. And the tripple shock when mine is finished.
By the way mine is being built on a MK-10 action, with a 26 inch Douglas barrel, timney trigger and a Boyds laminate ross Thumbhole sporter stock...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had pretty good luck with the 100 gr BT in my 2506, using RE-22 at a near max load. Accuracy is good, and it does knock down the deer and coyotes. A bit on the destructive side, if you have to shoot through bones, though.

SBB

Posts: 250 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm still fairly new to the .25-06, but I've shot all the various weights in doing load development. My Remington BDL seems to be at its most accurate with the 100gr. bullets, especially the Sierra 100gr. SBTs. Just one mans opinion. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed about a dozen deer using the 100gr ballistic tip in my 257wby.They work well with lung shots but do mess up a fair amount of meat if you hit a shoulder.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen ----- I just tried a new bullet for me in my .257 Wby, the 100 grain Barnes TSX. My first time to shoot this bullet and I have never killed anything with it, but I was impressed with it's accuracy. I am sure you could shoot it with good results with you 25.06's. I got 3628 fps and .5 accuracy from my first three shot group, and plan to shoot it much more. I used 70 grains of RL-22 and a fed 215M primer for you .257 Wby shooters. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop I tried a number of different 100 bullets including the BT in my 25-06 and found them to be great on antelope but a little lacking (opens too fast) on whitetail. I have since tried the 115 gr BT and found it to group better in my rifle and not blow up on big deer. It is now the only bullet I load in that 25-06. Check out the trajectory and retained energy @ 300 + yds.

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a little buck in the nose with one. The nose shot was not intended. He was looking right at me. It did not kill him. We were able to get him killed pretty quickly though.

Even so I will try again next year. I am sure if I had shot him in the neck, as intended, it would have worked out fine. These are little blacktails that seldom exceed #140. BT's do open fast.