New
Find
Notify
Tools

recipe for 300wsm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking to begin developing "the one" for my new rifle, tikka lite 300wsm. I've been doing some research and found that one can get up in the 3200 range. I just wanted to know if anyone was willing to share recipes, mistakes, and good things about reloading for this caliber. Probably will be shooting the 180 grain as my all around load. could possibly drop to 110 for yotes and prairie dogs.

thanks for your responses in advance.

Posts: 35 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have worked up loads for six different 300 WSM rifles so far and my favorite powder for that cartridge is H 4350

Living here in the crazy state of CA and not being able to use lead bullets in a good deal of it, we have been using a lot of Barnes TSX bullets.

In all six rifles tested the standout load was a Winchester case/ Fed 215M primer/ max load of H 4350/ Barnes 168 TSX loaded to about 2.84" OAL. Groups are easily under an inch and velocities run from 3100 to 3150 depending on barrel length.

In regard to reloading, I do find I have to set my FL die down to "cam over" a little in order to have easy feeding. And I have resorted to Sinclair sizing wax as the bases of those cases are a little hard to size.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of N51lDr1v3r
posted Hide Post
I have a pile of info ill get put up here, But to start.

SMK 190gn HPBT on top of 67gn's (sixty seven grains) of H4831SC COAL is 2.860" primer is WLRM, Velocity is 3000fps average across 10 shots.

Use the same data on a 180gn ttsx with half a grain more powder and get another 120~180 FPS

Never approach any load data without reducing by 10% and working up. Especially my loads.

For small animals, use a sabot and 55gn .224 bullet's, I have load data here somewhere with velocity for sabot loads all the way to 4100 fps.

Hand loads...... Never settle for OEM

Posts: 80 | Location: Sin City | Registered: 18 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my T3 Lite 300WSM i found that IMR4350 was as slow of powder that worked with 165 grain bullets. I could only get 3000 ft/sec out of it with the 165 Hornady SST as I started to see flattened primers. I have heard you could use slower powders with the heavier bullets but have no personal experience with either.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for all of the replys. I have RCBS dies and press and have heard that i may have to file down my shell holders around .020 to get the sizing for the bottom of the case. i'm very excited to get to work on this project. i'm probably going to start with the 180's as i usually go after (and even sometimes get) large game and the distances can get out there. i have not shot any of the barnes bullets, do they really mushroom like advertised, expanding at aroudn 3000 fps on an apple?

Thanks again and if you don't want to post your recipes out there, you can shoot me a pm.

Posts: 35 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramshot Hunter

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of N51lDr1v3r
posted Hide Post
The TTSX is my "go-to" bullet for medium to large game, It expands nicely in an animals body, not sure bout the apple!

I use TTSX's on hogs to, 350~400lb beast, head shots have a tendency to knock there wigs off. Nasty looking torn flesh, bone turns to powder, ect.

300 wsm is a potent cartridge, I respect mine.

Hand loads...... Never settle for OEM

Posts: 80 | Location: Sin City | Registered: 18 November 2011Reply With Quote