New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deep-Shok load data for .308
 Login/Join

<Oilburner>
posted
I've been off the web for a while and had no clue these bullets existed. I saw a box of 165gr .308's on the shelf a few weeks ago and grabbed them.

Can anyone provide Speer's data for 165's in a .308?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure if you e-mailed Speer, they could help.

Out of curiosity, what was the cost, and how many bullets per box?

<Oilburner>
posted
16.97 a box of 100

Since I wanted to load tonight or tomorrow, and email is often quite slow, I posted the question here after searching the archives of course.

I called them instead...of course, you will have to do the same if you want load data for a .308 [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Oilburner, Good to see you back. Be sure to let us know how well they shoot "in comparison" to the other bullets you've tested in your 308Win.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm also anxious to hear your results. I've used them in Federal Factory loads, and they were the most accurate factory load I have EVER tried. Construction and on-game performance was also excellent.

Let us know!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
J Ringo,
I got them at Midway, 100 to a box for about $16. The Midway website said it is only 50 to a box but when they got here they were 100.

What have you used them on so far?

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not very much. While hunting elk last year, I had a Whitetail doe tag, as well as a whitetail Buck tag.
Wanted to use the doe tag, as I couldn't use it at home. Sat in a stand one evening and shot an average (150# ??) doe at 14 yards.

Complete penetration, bullet blew through upper right side and exited lower left, a couple inches up from the brisket. From the entranc/exit holes, the bullet seemed to open quite quickly (Keeping in mind impact velocity of that 180 gr was 2700 fps) but exited in one piece. Oddly enough, entrance hole was slightly larger than exit hole. Deer ran about 70 or 80 yards, with an excellent blood trail.

I was using the 180 gr bullets, because I was hunting elk, mainly. That bullet is probably a bit tough for deer, but it DID seem to open fast....at that range anyways. This is the original bullet, made by Federal. Hopefully the Speer version is as good.

When available here in Canada, I'd like to make the 165 grain my all around bullet in the 30.06.

From what I've seen/heard/read, this bullet will be the finest of the "standard bullets".

Ray Atkinson has seen them used, and says he "was impressed, to say the least"

[ 04-11-2003, 04:15: Message edited by: Johnny Ringo ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen a BC listed for any of the deep-shoks? Speer had nothing listed on the website, I am primarily looking for the .30 165gr.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT

one of us
posted Hide Post
Need more info!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Oilburner,
I e-mailed Speer but no reply yet. Since you asked for load data here, why won't you share your's???

[ 04-26-2003, 17:02: Message edited by: Johnny Ringo ]

<Oilburner>
posted
Speer told me that Deep-Shok specific loads are not available. I was told to use the loads for spitzer boattails in the same weight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool.Thanks.