New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any pact Chronograph users out there??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think I need a chrono that works a little better in sunny conditions. I see that Midway will be having a sale on the pact model one for about $120. It looks pretty good with the box sitting on the bench and the skyscreens look pretty high class too. Hard to beat the lifetime warranty. The users that owned it wrote good reviews. Anyone have any complaints after owning one??

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have a PACT Model 1 that I've been shooting over since 1984 (still using the original skyscreens) and it's as accurate as any other chrono that I've tried.

When and if it ever gives me a problem I'll test their warranty.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got the Pact Professional and have been very pleased. It works for me in varying light conditions, which a lot of people bitch about having problems in various chrono's (including the Pact Professional) but it works for me.

The built in software is pretty sophisticated, but it's there if you want, the built in printer is nice, I print my strings and stick em in the box the ammo I shot came from. The good thing about the seperate skyscreens is that if you happen to shoot them, which a lot of folks will warn you about, you've only killed your skyscreens, not the expensive chrono itself.

I always set mine up with a cheap bore sighting laser, and haven't shot my skyscreens yet.

Good Shooting--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used a PACT Model 1 for many years, with satisfaction for the most part. Mine went back to the factory twice (over about fifteen years), but that's no problem, given the service they provided.

HOWEVER...

For our most-recent wedding anniversary last October, my wife gave me a CED Milennium chronograph, obtained from Dillon.

This machine is at least a full generation newer than the Model One, and it really shows. The keyboard is large, and has a well-marked soft button for every function the machine provides. Average speed? Push a button. Extreme spread? Push a button. Edit a bum reading? Yep, push a button. And on, and on...there about a dozen buttons altogether. In addition, the display is very easy to read, with numbers about an inch high.

By comparison, with the Model 1, we have to cycle through a variety of functions (using two tiny buttons) to reach the display desired. The on-off switch is a very awkward small device located on the back of the box. The readout is small and hard to see in some lighting conditions.

I truly like(d) the PACT Model 1, but in comparison to the CED machine, it's as antiquated as celluloid collars...and I'm almost old enough to REMEMBER celluloid collars!

Who says you can't teach an old dog (me) new tricks? The CED costs more than a Model 1, but it's worth every penny to me. You may also want to look at PACT's more up-to-date chronos, too. The M1 is really their entry-level machine. MY chrono experience dates back to the change-two-paper-screens-per-shot days, so things have sure come a long way since 1970!

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Pact #1 also. Without a doubt, they are tough! I've shot mine three times and only replaced the screens once. Yes, I recommend Pact.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comparison to the ced. I had seen it while searching things and (Ithink) it can be had for about $180. It might well be worth it. I'll keep watching for more info coming through. Thanks much guys!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I've had my Pact 1 since 1989. It's worked flawlessly. Several friends I shoot with have the CED's and the Ohlers (no longer availabe) The readings are very comparable we have shot our loads over each others equipment and the results were the same. So it boils done to what little things you like. I do have one little grip on the Pact I I've had to replace the battery about 8 times or so now. Would you think someone could make a decent battery. I'll be using this unit until it stops working that will probably be after I've left the planet.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can highly recommend the Pact chronograph.

It works well under about any possible light conditions.

I have an old Ohler model 33 that works most of the time but has a time reading Nosler bullets when the sun is coming in from the side of the screens. Also, that darned thing takes 6 D batteries!!

I guess the only complaint I have about the Pact is that while it only needs one 9 volt battery they do go south with no warning at all.
The Ohler warns you the batteries are getting tired. Simple soulution, I NEVER go to the range without a spare battery for the Pact.

I went to the trouble of mounting both brands of chronograph on the same tripod so that I could shoot over both of them at the same time.
They read within 20 fps or so of each other every time.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve a Pact I bought about 15 yrs ago and would buy another without question. The unit works well and seems to be less sensitive to reflected light / low sun then the Shooting Crony I had before it. It still will show some funny readings or fail to read with certain light problems but I believe they all do, or at least other brands I`ve seen at the range do according to their owners.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Well, I'll be the lone desenter here. I have a PACT & while it is accurate it is also very finicky about light conditions. I have even had the screens replaced. It just misses too many shots for me so I bought an Oehler last year & to date, every shot over the screens has given me an accurate reading. The only reason I don't sell the PACT is it's also my shooting timer. CRYBABY

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 1 that is about useless under any conditions except bright overcast.

one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jay Johnson:
I do have one little grip on the Pact I I've had to replace the battery about 8 times or so now. Would you think someone could make a decent battery.

That was my main complaint on the Pact Professional I have used since the early 90's. Took care of that problem by buying a AA battery box (for lack of a better name) at Radio shack. They did not have 6 battery box, so bought the 8 battery and soldered a 9volt battery lead to yield 9 volts. I just plug in this battery pack at the range each time I set up the Pact. Can't tell you how long the batteries last because I have never replaced them and have used them a couple of years. Smiler

Once in a while mine will miss a shot, but usually I find it is because I have set up to shoot a bit close to the screens. Drop them down a bit and the problem goes away.

The "Calc Trajectory" function is great. Have used it several times to calculate a starting sight setting when all you have is a 600 yard zero and want to know the 800 yard "come-ups". Has always put us on paper.

I like to print out the bullet path and place in ammo box, too. I usually use the wide, clear packing tape on both sides to laminate the data; found that the tape causes the heat sensitive characters to disappear! Frowner Can solve that problem by making a zerox copy and laminating the copy.

Have never had occasion to try cust. service; you say they have a lifetime warranty? Did not realize that.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote