New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range tests getting better!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SmilerAfter many a frustrating shots after careful reloading and trying a bunch of things the groups are shrinking with my M77 mark 2 .260. I have made several posts relating to the night mare I was going through. Today I shot some 100 grain Sierra pro-hunter, Remington case, federal 210 match primer with 48.0 grains H 414 and shot a .986 group. Checked what was supposed to be 100 yard distance and it was 133 yards. Also shot a 2 shot group of .250, 48.0 grains H4350, 100 grain Pro hunter. Changes made were getting off the piss poor rifle rest and making some sand bags from Mississippi river sand. Also smoothed out trigger to 3/4 lb pull. So coming around finally. Will not sell it now for sure!

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Nicely-nicely! Get rid of the sand and use rice.

What's your secret on getting a safe 3/4# pull on that Ruger? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerRice-never thought of it but see what you mean as it would be better yet and stay packed in position better to I guess? I know one thing I will never use a rifle rest again. it caused me a million nightmares!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerGo to the gun smithing section and there is a detailed method on smoothing out the trigger on a M77 Ruger. I may have abit over 3/4 and could be 1 lb. This method if followed correctly gives a safe low trigger pull and no creep. After I smoothed myn eout and polished all the pins, etc, I bolted the rifle and took it off safty and bumped the butt fairly sloid on the floor ant it did not go off. Check it out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob, Good for you. Glad to see you figured out what seems to be the problem.

Does your Ruger have that 2-stage trigger?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerNot being used to Rugers, I am almost sure it is just a plain M77 trigger. From what little I know about triggers it doesn't have a two stage set up. Tomorrow will be the test for consistant shooting as Im off to test the new load again.