New
Find
Notify
Tools

neck sizing dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am currently using a Lee collet die to resize the necks on my brass, but don't like the fact that you really don't know when the neck is sized. I have been pushing too hard on the downstroke and have wrecked two hinges on my Lee press. I was wondering if when using other neck sizing dies if it was obvious when the sizing was complete? Is it similar to a FL resizing die, so that you in fact know that the resizing is done. Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes a neck sizing die is just like a full length die but it only touchs the neck.....the newer versions that use a bushing...such as Redding let you have more control over the tightness of the neck on the bullet......can help some loads-guns shoot more accurately.....and for accuracy loading you don't size the whole neck to the shoulder joint you only size about half the neck to leave the expanded part to center the case in the chamber.......the lee collet dies can be great but they are rough sometimes and do take a relearning after using regular dies all the time....hth..good luck and good shooting-loading!!

bigdaddytacp

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
If you have damaged your press in the sizing process, you are in likely need of some refinements of your technique. If you set the die up as per the instructions that came with it, it's a simple "in and out" that requires no real force to accomplish. It sounds like you are using way too much force than is necessary, and this is an operation that requires a light touch, like seating a primer. If something is sticking, you may need to disassemble and clean the die parts with mineral spirits or brake cleaner then relube the insides with something like Tri-Flow. Even a conventional neck sizer requires minimal force to use, less than neck expansion in a handgun case, and much, much less than a FL sizer. But, even on a heavier cast press than the little Lee, you can still feel what is going on when the collet is engaged and the sizing is happening, and you can see when the collet assembly is pushed into the case and actuated.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
The Lee Collet Neck Sizers are adjusted by raising the ram and screwing in the die until it hits the shell holder and then lowering the ram and screwing it in an additional 2 turns, more or less. The number of turns is not important because you are only setting it so the ram arm is only about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down so that when you close the die on a case, you can then put downward pressure on the arm (about 25 pounds). The ram arm is not close to the bottom of the stroke and definitely does not cam over. After a while you can feel the very slight crunch when the neck is resized. That is sufficient.

If you are worried about whether the neck has been resized or not, try to insert a bullet in it. You will see that the neck has been sized and that you can not push the bullet in by hand. Not even close.

If you want to resize only part of the neck, you can get an appropriately sized fender washer and put it around the case on top of the shell holder. A part of the neck will be left unsized that is the thickness of the washer.

If you are worried about having enough neck tension to hold the bullet, then get a Lee Factory Crimp Die and it will put as much of a crimp on as you want, from light to heavy crimp. Easy to use and fool proof (which helps me out).

There are 2 big advantage to using the Lee Collet Neck Sizer. No lube inside the neck and reduced runout (better concentricity).

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
The instructions (which nobody reads -- at least not us males!) is needed to set up the Lee collet dies properly.

It is worth the trouble! My cheapie Lee collet dies gave me the same accuracy as my much more epensive Redding bushing type neck dies. Granted, spinning the Lee mandrel a drill and taking a little off it with a file or abrasive paper isn't as elegant as changing a bushing in the Redding die, but the end result was equally accurate ammo for me.

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As best I can tell is that I probably need to take the .001 that Lee recommends for a tighter bullet fit. As it is now, I can push the bullet well into the case before much resistance is met. This has resulted in applying more downward pressure than the instructions with the die recommend. I guess I will try and sand the mandrel down first and see what happens. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of Versifier
posted Hide Post
I'd buy the Factory Crimp Die before messing with the mandrel. You don't mention either the caliber or brand of bullet and brass you are loading. Thin necked cases and/or undersized bullets can also cause insufficient neck tension, but as long as the bullet is seated to the proper OAL, use of a taper or factory crimp will cure the problem. If the mandrel is not the problem and you mess with it, you can effect the concentricity of the loaded round and negate any accuracy improvement gained by the use of the collet die. I would begin by careful measurements of bullets and brass and correctly diagnose the problem (if there is one) first.

..And why the sea is boiling hot
And whether pigs have wings.
-Lewis Carroll

Posts: 224 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 01 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a little learning curve setting up my Lee neck die right, but after set right love it. Also found that after reloading same case by 5th load my bullets were loose in neck after sizing until crimped which, but annealing case necks solved problem with my winchester brass.