New
Find
Notify
Tools

fireforming wads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have passed some .220Russian brass throught FL die and now need to fireform.

It is visibly quite different from 6PPC, so I don't think I will get any kind of accuracy from it.

I have heard of people using paper wadding instead of bullets, and I don't have any cheap bullets I am willing to sacrifice for the purpose so I was wondering how to make up a substitute.

Will 6mm or 7mm felt wads do? what charge to use?
what about normal tissue paper rammed down hard?

Thanks.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Express, if you do a search here or on shooters.com, you will find a method for fireforming cases without bullets. Essentially, it involves the fastest possible powder, and a plug (wax, soap, etc) in the case mouth to keep things from falling out). Ken Howell has posted the method on several boards.

That said, my PPC is well sub m.o.a. with fireforming loads, so if you have a reason to go plinking, just load up a light to medium load, and shoot them up. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 6PPC shot well(sub MOA) with unform .220Russian cases? [Eek!] I would't have geussed that, I mena they are visible quite different.

A friend is going to pick me up some of the cheapest 6mm bullets he can find for me.
With the leftovers I can use cull brass for shooting in an AK 47 converted to 6PPC a friend has in his shop [Cool]

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch which ever method you choose to fireform with whether it be a small charge of pistol powder or the light/medium loaded bullet method. just make sure you have a tight headspace created. Either with a false shoulder or with the bullet tight in the lands.

I personally use the pistol powder method. Just works for me.

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Ray, good point. I usually use either round noses firmly into the lands, or just turn them around, again firmly into the lands. Plenty good on gophers to 150 yards or so.

Express, yes, they are quite different, but accuracy depends on everything being the same, everytime. With good brass, and proper loading, fireforming loads can be almost as accurate as the real thing. Just watch pressure a little. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dutch my appologies, I just now realized that I addressed my last post to you. I really meant it for Express.

It was very evident in your post that your knowledge base was already above that point and I wanted for Express to take all the necessary precautions.

Posts: 85 | Location: Tex | Registered: 29 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a charge of UNique, corn meal and wax to fireform cases...you want the case full...I use canning wax melted and poured on wax paper about 1/4" thick (let stand until it sets up)..load powder, topfill with corn meal, stick case into wax like a cookie cutter, shoot it pointed up is best. I won't suggest what charge of Unique is best in that caliber as I do not know but it won't take much in that small case.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote